Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diolacles
    • Feb 2005

80-Wire IDE Cable On DVD Drives?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but did a search and didn't see anything closely related to my question....

Just bought a Pioneer DVR-111 and installed it. Everything works hunky-dory but I was reading through the data that came with it and saw that they recommend using an 80-wire/40 pin IDE cable. It says "80-wire cable is required for maximum DVD Writing speed". Will there be that much of a difference over a regular 40 wire/40 pin cable - which is what I have now?
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

slightly faster, but they are better cables with cleaner signal, I have used them for over a year on all my optical drives

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

The reason why the Pioneers work better with the better 80 cables is they go up to UDMA4 (I have a Pioneer 109 which is the same). If you use a 40 cable it can only do up to UDMA2.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

at 16x or even 18x, 22 or 25 MB/s dma 2 is plenty fast enough, and with measly 2 meg caches a burst at 100MB/s, just lasts 1/50 of a second

Comment

• ed klein
          Banned
          • Mar 2004

Computer stores sell them real cheap, for primary and secondary IDE cables, and well worth the time and effort if you have the case already open. A little spray WD-40 silicent lubricant on the 40 pin connectors both ends makes the connectors glide on the pins and snap in place with no problems.

Last edited by ed klein; 9 Dec 2006, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• Diolacles
            • Feb 2005

Hey, great - thanks for your help, everybody. I do have a couple of 80-wire cables left over from hard drives and motherboards I've bought in the past, so I think I will use one of those.

Comment

• Diolacles
              • Feb 2005

Originally Posted by nwg
              The reason why the Pioneers work better with the better 80 cables is they go up to UDMA4 (I have a Pioneer 109 which is the same). If you use a 40 cable it can only do up to UDMA2.
              Changed cables to an 80 wire and did indeed find that my access went from UDMA 2 to UDMA 4. Thanks for mentioning that fact!

Comment

Working...