• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cambion7
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Nov 2005

Port Forwarding Question

Out of all the forums I continue to feel this is the best so I'm asking my question here:

I have DSL and use the Zoom X3 ADSL model 5660 to connect to the internet. I have forwarded ports in the past using the literature at portforward.com so I could connect to Unreal Tournament 2004 servers and have had no problem whatsoever.

Now that the wife needs internet access for her laptop we acquired a linksys wireless router, WRT54G. We connect to the net just fine but for the life of me I cannot get ports forwarded. I open a port on both the modem and the router but GRC.Com shows me as being fully stealthed. I even experimented by opening port 113 and it shows as stealthed.

Any guru know how to get this forwarding working? I know my IP Address using "ipconfig /all" and I know the IP of each device (10.0.0.2 for ZOOM and 192.168.1.1 for Linksys". It's just messing with my mind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cam
    Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
    - Confidence
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

you got 2 nats you are going thru, simplest thing would be to dmz one or the other(turn off the nat) I had to do something like this with VOIP and a static business IP

took a couple of phone calls after the other techs(dsl etc) gave up

thank goodness I got an experienced tech when I called

way over my head

10.0.0.2 for ZOOM and 192.168.1.1 for Linksys
    should be the other way around as the wan is from the zoom?
    Last edited by Chewy; 18 Dec 2006, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Cambion7
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Nov 2005

Thanks Chewy. I've DMZ'ed the Linksys and established an IP address for my machine. I couldn't find anything of the sort for the Zoom X3 5660. Now when I go to the grc.com page and do a ShieldsUp 'All Services' scan only a few come up as stealthed and everything else is showing as CLOSED.

In my Zoom NAT tables I add a rule to forward a port (in this case I tested with port 1024) and it changes from closed to stealthed. Instead of using my IP address I use the Linksys IP address. Works like a charm.

Is there any way to force it to show OPEN instead of stealthed?

Thanks again Chewy.

Cam
      Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

- Confidence

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

call up your isp and set up the zoom to dmz, disable the nat for it.

it may take 2 or 3 calls to get a tech that knows what he's doing

once you get everything passing thru the zoom you should be good to go.

may have toi flash the zoom tho.

Comment

• techreactor
          Banned
          • Jul 2005

@Cambion,

Do you have routing tables shown in the router somewhere or if you can post a link to this routers online manual, I can have a look.

Edit: on other thought, can you do the same on both your devices.

On Zoom - forward the port for the Linksys IP (192.x.x.x) and on linksys forward the port from your desktop ip address
          Last edited by techreactor; 18 Dec 2006, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Cambion7
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by techreactor
            @Cambion,

Do you have routing tables shown in the router somewhere or if you can post a link to this routers online manual, I can have a look.

Edit: on other thought, can you do the same on both your devices.

On Zoom - forward the port for the Linksys IP (192.x.x.x) and on linksys forward the port from your desktop ip address
            @Techreactor,
            Thanks for the response, and to you as well Chewy. By DMZ'ing the Linksys and specifying my machines internal network IP Address I've in essence completely opened up my desktop to the world. But due to the NAT of the Zoom I still am afforded the "protection". I also have disabled my SSID broadcasting and filter MAC to only allow specified MAC addresses to connect. I think I've locked it down as good as it can be.

I'm specifying which ports to forward in the NAT configuration section of the Zoom modem, and specify the IP address of the modem. The down side is if my wife needs forwarded ports I need to do that twice like you said.

I'll send an E-mail to my ISP techies to see what they say. It's a small shop but I've been with them for almost ten years.

Again thanks for all the input. It gives me something to play with.

Cheers,
            Cam

- Confidence

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

if you have issues with it that way try 192.168.0.1 for the zoom, forward all ports, assign 192.168.0.2 to the linksys and only forward necessary ports thru it, dhcp everything downstream

Comment

• Cambion7
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                if you have issues with it that way try 192.168.0.1 for the zoom, forward all ports, assign 192.168.0.2 to the linksys and only forward necessary ports thru it, dhcp everything downstream
                Okay... my Linksys IP is 192.168.0.1 so with my machine being DMZ'd I create an RDR rule in my NAT section of the Zoom modem as follows:

Rule 7, from/to 192.168.0.1, port range 7777 to 7788 for ANY protocol.

The port range is no longer closed but stealthed. I'll give it a go and see if I can connect to the game server. I'll also see about DHCP (will require doing some reading... thank goodness I'm on vacation! )

Thanks again Chewy. I appreciate the help

Cam

- Confidence

Comment

• NightTran
                  King of Digital Video
                  King of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by Cambion7
                  Okay... my Linksys IP is 192.168.0.1 so with my machine being DMZ'd I create an RDR rule in my NAT section of the Zoom modem as follows:

Rule 7, from/to 192.168.0.1, port range 7777 to 7788 for ANY protocol.

The port range is no longer closed but stealthed. I'll give it a go and see if I can connect to the game server. I'll also see about DHCP (will require doing some reading... thank goodness I'm on vacation! )

Thanks again Chewy. I appreciate the help

Cam
                  it does not seem to be a vacation to me
                  sigpic

Comment

• Cambion7
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by NightTran
                    it does not seem to be a vacation to me
                    Yeah no kidding. Anyway I dumped the X3 modem and my Linksys... and got the Zoom X6 modem that has built-in wireless router. It's taken care of all my problems... no double nats! Woohoo!

Merry Christmas everyone!
                    Cam

- Confidence

Comment

Working...