Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KeizerSoze
    • Dec 2004

Two Routers / One Connection

ok...i'm trying to help my brother out here who isn't too computer savvy. he needs to connect his netgear wrg614v6 router. btw, we're doing this all over the phone since he's in a different state.

he rents a room which has an internet connection. the room has no modem, just an ethernet port. well, after having him check his ip using the ipconfig command, i realized there's already a router somewhere within the house.

we're trying to use his router in order to share the internet connection with his pc and xBox. when accessing the router settings, i'm having him check off the part where the ip and dns address are obtained automatically. well...that doesn't seem to be working.

how would i go about doing this the right way? can this even be done? i've googled this problem, but each possible solution seems a little different than our scenario we have here.

any help will greatly be appreciated. thanks!!
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

Check these first :

- The single LAN connection he has, does it give him the same IP address or different IP address upon connection
    - If he gets different IP address there is already a DHCP server available and all he needs is another switch and two LAN cables to get his two devices connected.

- If he is getting a fixed IP address, he just needs to setup a DHCP server by using that fixed IP in his router and enabling DHCP on it. How to enable, will depend on the router model and make, read the manuals, you cant miss it.see the manual
    Last edited by techreactor; 11 Jan 2007, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• KeizerSoze
      • Dec 2004

ok...yes! he is getting a fixed ip address, 192.168.1.100. his default gateway is 192.168.1.1 (WRT54GL router somewhere within the house) Also, the netgear wrg614v6 is already set up as a DHCP server.

the problem is, when the internet cable is plugged into his netgear's internet port, he's not able to log into his router. whether he uses the default gateway address (which is coincidentally the exact same as the WRT54GL) or if he uses the routerlogin.net way, he cannot get into the netgear. when it's not plugged in, he can log in fine.

so, i had him disconnect the internet cable from the router in order to adjust the netgear's settings. he unchecked NO to whether or not the internet connection required a login and entered:

ip: 192.168.1.100
      sub: 255.255.255.0
      gateway: 192.168.1.1

as for the DNS Servers, this is where i got confused. prior to connecting to the router, he did an ipconfig and found the primary and secondary dns addresses. he entered those in...reconnected the internet cable to the router...crossed his fingers...and nothing! timed out.

do you know why he's unable to log into the router WITH the internet cable connected into the internet port? did i have him do the right thing by disconnecting that cable in order to access the netgear's settings?

i have the manual for the netgear wrg614v6, i too am using a netgear router, so they're virtually the same settings screen. however, i'm not really finding a defintive answer as HOW to set this up properly.

thanks again for all your help!

Comment

Working...