X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Multitasking and Disk Thrashing

With a good single core cpu, multitasking is fairly safe, it's accessing the hard drives that impacts performance to a point where 2 tasks done at the same time can take longer than done seperately.

I was burning a disk with nero at 8x and doing a full video encode, about the time the burn got going, the encode with vision started it's straight write from it's work folder to the output folder on another hard drive.

The problem was nero was burning from files on the same hard drive that vision was reading from.

20 minutes later my poor hard drive finally finished both tasks, buffers went crazy. Very bad timing, neither operation significantly slows down the other as long as vision is just doing the intensive encoding.
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

I multitask all the time but with dual core and multiple drive those, just never mess around with nero ( it is very sensitive), I can use cucu or rebuilder or magic ripper while burning ( all have to use dif HD ), dvdd is my burning engine ( they do very good even CPU can be up to 100) + downloading in FF
    sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

at the end of an encode I have vision and favc set up where they rip from
      one hard drive to another(that's very fast) work or temp folder where the dvd
      size files are stored to another folder on a seperate hard drive

dvdd, imgburn would have had the same problem, it was disk access not cpu
      intensive

Comment

• NightTran
        King of Digital Video
        King of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

nero vision and favc are two intensive program, I wont burn when those two running, I can burn with almost every other program
        sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

vision's best feature is being able to set the cpu mode on the fly, in lower priority modes it makes the computer very responsive to other needs,
          favc hits the ground running in high priority mode

Comment

• NightTran
            King of Digital Video
            King of Digital Video
            • Aug 2005

I can't even play video when FAVC is running
            sigpic

Comment

• jm1647
              An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
              • Apr 2005

@Chewy like you said the nero reading to burn and vision reading to write to a different HDD were being done from the same drive at the same time. And the drive musta took a good thrashing. The reading from different drives woulda sped things up

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

<center> All hail to Chewy! </center>
                Since following the power user setup, I am able to multi-task to my heart's content without freezes, hangs, overheat, etc. Cut down on alot of unnecessary thread/processes & other junk running in the background.

Chewy's motto: Always run lean & mean!!!

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

I am think about adding that 3rd hard drive that's been sitting around for a few months, the only problem is the via sata controller didn't like my overclock, but then I didn't know to relax the hypertranspost system bus.

Running it at stock 1000Mhz, before it was at 1450Mghz

Comment

• jm1647
                    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                    • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                    I am think about adding that 3rd hard drive that's been sitting around for a few months, the only problem is the via sata controller didn't like my overclock, but then I didn't know to relax the hypertranspost system bus.

Running it at stock 1000Mhz, before it was at 1450Mghz
                    That overclock stuff is over my head and I don't have a MOBO that will allow it on the AMD1500+ box AFAIK

But I did finally get the Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card filled up 6 HDDs and 2 ODD in it now

Comment

Working...