Internal Hard Drive Power Cable Extension?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aksmith
    • May 2004

Internal Hard Drive Power Cable Extension?

I have an extra IDE hard drive laying around and decided to add it onto my new computer. I opened the tower and tried to install it, but the power cord is too short to reach the second hard drive. Anyone know where I can find an IDE internal hard drive power cord extension? It seems like a small thing, but I cannot find one anywhere.
  • Abuilder
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Oct 2006

Unless you need a real long extension, Goto a local computer store and ask for a "Y" power cable. The two tails aren't real long usually, but if you only need 3 or 4 inchs they work fine.
    They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

a warning tho, short and few power leads are usually associated with lame power supplies, beware the propritary mini atx power supplies. they burn up easily and cost an arm and a leg to replace

Comment

• Abuilder
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Oct 2006

Ain't that the truth. I never could figure out why some of these companies put such weak power supplies in thier systems.

Comment

• aksmith
          • May 2004

Thanks Abuilder and Chewy. I have a 300 Watt power supply, but it's likely not a great one since I have a Gateway, off the shelf system. And using the extension cable is actually a lazy workaround. If I could remove the hard drive that came with the machine and flip it upside down before reinserting it, the power cable would be just long enough. But they've hidden the screws holding that hard drive in on one side, and I can't see any way of removing them easily. So even a one or two inch extension cable will do the trick.

Just to be clear. The Y extension will attach to the female end of the four pin, hard drive power cable, then have its own female end to attach to the male end that's on the hard drive itself?

Comment

• Abuilder
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Oct 2006

The Y is one male split into two females so you would end up with and extra female to add another drive.

one male split into two females? The wonders of advanced medicine. LOL

Comment

• aksmith
              • May 2004

Thank you.

Comment

• aksmith
                • May 2004

Originally Posted by Abuilder
                The Y is one male split into two females so you would end up with and extra female to add another drive.

one male split into two females? The wonders of advanced medicine. LOL
                The Y-connector was exactly what I needed. Thank you. While I was inside the case, I added a couple Gigs of memory and another DVD burner I had in an old computer. The burner is now recessed about an inch behind the face plate of the computer. I only saw the two holes along the side to mount the drive. Is there some way to mount the drive so it would be more forward and not leave this gap all around it for dust to set in? I'm thinking I'll just tape around the edges to seal the opening, but it's going to look ugly and leave tape goo if I ever want to remove it.

Comment

• ed klein
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2004

While you are inside your computer check the IDE cables primary and secondary and see if they are the 40 pin 80 lead cables and not the 40 pin 40 lead cables, cheap to change out.

Comment

• jm1647
                    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                    • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by aksmith
                    The Y-connector was exactly what I needed. Thank you. While I was inside the case, I added a couple Gigs of memory and another DVD burner I had in an old computer. The burner is now recessed about an inch behind the face plate of the computer. I only saw the two holes along the side to mount the drive. Is there some way to mount the drive so it would be more forward and not leave this gap all around it for dust to set in? I'm thinking I'll just tape around the edges to seal the opening, but it's going to look ugly and leave tape goo if I ever want to remove it.
                    It won't mount flush? IDE or power cable too short? If you have to, use tape inside but I would definitely seal up the opening in the front to keep out the dust bunnies

Comment

• Abuilder
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Oct 2006

AK
                      Most Gateways use a clip system in the drive bays that work with any drive (usually). Did you push the new drive in from the front?
                      If not, allign the drive in place and use a hot glue gun and put just a couple of drops along side the drive and cage inside the case. That makes is easy to remove again if you need.

Ed
                      I agree about the 80 pin cable but some CowBoxes (Gateways) use a cable select to ID the drives so putting a 80 pin in will mess up the drives ID and neither will work.
                      Last edited by Abuilder; 18 Feb 2007, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• aksmith
                        • May 2004

Yeah - I pushed the new drive in from the front. I had to remove the side rails that I'd used to install it in my old computer because that made it too wide for the new box, which seems to only work by screwing the drive into the metal dvd drive enclosure. The dvd drive that came with the system has a forward lip as part of the tray that brings it up flush with the front of the facing.

I think there are actually two things that can work to keep the dust out, which is my primary concern since I don't really care what the thing looks like as long as it works. I can drill screw mount holes further forward in the metal dvd drive enclosure, or I can tape the opening to close the gap. I believe at this time I'm just going to tape it. The computer is working great in its new souped up condition and I'm hesitant to mess with success.

Is there actually any utility to changing the type of ribbon cable to either the hard drives or the dvd writers, as Ed suggested? They are long enough and seem to be working fine (only the power cable to the hard drives was too short originally). And even though the gateway hard drive and dvd writer were both set to "cable select" initially, I re-jumpered them to make them the masters and set my add-ons as slaves. And like I said, they are both working great.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

And like I said, they are both working great.
                          you are good to go then, just leave everything master/slave, make sure the master is on the end of the cable and then mounted above the slave,
                          the 80 conductor cable only allow higher dma values when the motherboard and drive support it

Comment

• katzdvd
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Feb 2006

I can drill screw mount holes further forward in the metal dvd drive enclosure
                            I have done that in the past to make for a nice flush appearance, but now I figure, what's the point? For me, it's under the desk out of sight anyway!

Well, not actually in the dvd drive case, but in the side rails.

And, the extra gap there is allowing for more airflow/cooling

The pc is already getting dust into in from numerous air intake holes, etc., so what's another small opening gonna hurt?

I don't worry about that too much anyway, since I blow things out every 6 mo. or so!

Comment

• doctorhardware
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Dec 2006

Just check you computer every 30 days or so and blow out the dust as needed. I usually use my air compressor and blow out the dust.
                              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...