X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trouble101
    • Feb 2007

Upgrade Problems

Hello,
    I was just wondering if there is any way to get a computer back to using the Fat32? My computer was formatted and upgraded to Windows XP Home Edition and now it doesn't work right. It worked fine with Windows 98. It is an old computer and if there is a way to reformat it and take it back to using the Fat32 instead of the NTFS I would like to put Windows 98 back in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

Reformat the HDD to FAT32 and reinstall 98 if that is what you want to do. You could have installed XP on FAT32 also. What was the trouble with XP, you might need some more RAM.

Comment

• Abuilder
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Oct 2006

Trouble101
      You will need to boot your system from a 98/98se boot disk. Them run fdisk and delete all the NTFS or non-dos partitons that are there. Them choose option (1) create primary partion. It will ask if you want to use the whole disk, choose yes if you don't plan on dividing up the disk. After that is done you will have to reboot from the floppy again and format c: You do not need to use the /s switch in format because the 98 install will take care of that. After the format is done goto your CD drive which will be E: most likely and run setup. Them go watch a movie because the 98 install is sloooowwwww.
      They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

you might have to zap the fat, I had similar problems with nt partitions when trying to install w98

Comment

Working...