• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamoskeag3
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2005

Vista and what programs work with it.

My kid is about to buy a new laptop that has Vista OS.
    - Am I correct in understanding that the only version of MS Office that works with Vista is Office 2007. (Kid has Office 2002 as i recall)
    - How about Norton products?
    - How about other programs? For example, will Nero 6 work with Vista.
    - What other program compatibility problems will she she face.
    If this has been discussed before, a link will be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  • jamoskeag3
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2005

Can anyone help me with the above questions? Thanks

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

Am I correct in understanding that the only version of MS Office that works with Vista is Office 2007. (Kid has Office 2002 as i recall)
      No. You'll find most applications that work under XP will work under Vista, even when not specifically supported. If you do experience any quirks you can run any executable in XP compatibility mode. I had no troubles running Office XP.

For example, will Nero 6 work with Vista.
      Don't know about Nero 6, but ImgBurn works well.
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• soup
        Just Trying To Help
        • Nov 2005

These are not that new but I found a couple of links.

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Later versions of Nero 6 should work. Nero 7 is certified to run under Vista.

Comment

• jamoskeag3
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2005

Cynthia,
            I use Nero version 6.6.0.18.
            Will that work with Vista?

Comment

• cynthia
              Super Moderatress
              • Jan 2004

I've seen forum posts that version 6.6.0.6 should be no problems - so I guess your version should work also.

6.6.1.4 is the latest Nero 6 version, featuring the Nero 7 burn engine (switched to SPTI).
              6.6.0.18 is the last ASPI version.

Comment

• jamoskeag3
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2005

Cynthia,
                - Thanks!
                - My other big concern is still what version of MS office is compatible with Vista.
                Last edited by jamoskeag3; 20 Feb 2007, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• jamoskeag3
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Nov 2005

Thanks to all who responded.

Ive been doing some loading of programs, and Vista is compatible for me with MS Office 2002 and 0ffice 2003, as well as Publisher 2002.

Works with Nero 7, but not for latest version of Nero 6.

I understand (but cant confirm) that compatibility may be dependent on Manufacturer and chip.
                  I have HP laptop, and AMD Turion 64 X2, using windows Vista home premium.
                  Hope this helps.

Comment

• jamoskeag3
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Nov 2005

BTW, Be leery of what the "experts" at Best Buy, Staples, etc tell you about software compatability.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

Just a rambleling of a tire extech

I will give you the most accurate and Factual ideas about vista. I am in the process of trying get several versions to test compatibility, I guess we should test both home versions. To customize a desk top and or laptop with a dual core customization speed is definitely alot better than a laptop or desk top that has single core CPU. Some of the computers with a single core
                      computer can take up to 4:00 hours to complete the customization.

Also Make sure that you absolutely use the BEST DVD MEDIA, For Your System Recover Disc Set. You only one time to create the system recovery disc. Using cheaply manufactured DVD disc will causes you more headaches and and hair being pulled out and many choice words. Other wise you have only one chance to create these discs, the only other way to obtain the recovery discs after a recover discs failure is to contact the computer manufacture. You are only allowed one chance to complete the recovery disc creation. We have not found a hack around this problem I have tried search the to find the entry for the recovery disc creation.

I have that Best Buy house brand(dynx) will give very good results.

Sorry that this is long but would the VISTA compatibility mode work like compatibility mode in ME.
                      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• jamoskeag3
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Nov 2005

Well, ive had better luck with Vista and software than with printers.
                        Two older printers, an HP and a Lexmark All in one, do not work with Vista, because no driver support.
                        So, i went and bought a new Lexmark All in one.
                        Downloaded latest driver.
                        Printer function works, but not scan or copy function.
                        After several hours with tech support, they finally admitted their latest driver wont yet support scan function. Said to call back in a week.
                        Not happy. The fact that Vista was coming out has not been a secret, esp given that this is a brand new All in one.

If I had a choice, id wait to get Vista until suppliers have a chance to get up to date with this aggravating new OS.

Comment

Working...