Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zad1
    • Apr 2005

No video when set my monitor to digital

Hi, sorry for double posting but I got no answer to this question in 'general computing'.

My LCD monitor has two settings, digital and analog. I have the digital plugged into the DVI socket on my graphics card.
    When I set the monitor to digital, video files will not show on the screen, in any software. I just get a black square. But they play fine when I set it to analog.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Moved to General Computing (not a codec issue).

Generally when the display is set to analogue, it switches to D-sub input, so you should see no image at all if you're using DVI. Just so we're clear, there is only one cable between the display and the graphics card, and it's DVI, right?

Start by updating graphics card drivers.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• zad1
      • Apr 2005

Hi
      There are two cables connected to the monitor. One is from the analog (VGA?) output on the graphics card to the analog (VGA) input on the monitor. (Sorry, I'm not sure what "D-sub input" is.)
      The other is from the DVI output on the g card to the DVI input on the monitor.
      I can switch freely from one to the other, although I have found if both are plugged in, the monitor will always revert to the VGA/analog setting first by default. But since I can't watch video on the digital setting, I've left it plugged in.
      If I'm not watching video I change it to digital, since the picture looks better.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

sounds like a windows/display output issue?

wonder if it's simply trying to output the video to another monitor

have you messed around with those settings?

I doubt that the vga/dvi switch is truly plug and play

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

There are two cables connected to the monitor
          Likely the cause, and can possibly damage your hardware. Take out the VGA (AKA D-sub), reboot, then play a video.
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• zad1
            • Apr 2005

Yes, you're brilliant. I unplugged the VGA cable and rebooted, and videos play fine on the digital setting.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...