X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeyBK
    Digital Video Maniac
    • Feb 2006

Build a custom PC???

Debating if I will be interested in building a custom PC or not, and am looking for input, suggestions, and recommendations regarding it...
    Following is a preliminary list of components...any feedback is most welcome...thanks...

Attached Files
    MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
    Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
    ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
    XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
    Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
    Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
    *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
    *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

300$ for a case and PS? little overkill?

of course if you add a 3-400$ vid card and 2-3 hard drives and a couple of burners?

Comment

• MikeyBK
      Digital Video Maniac
      • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
      300$ for a case and PS? little overkill?

of course if you add a 3-400$ vid card and 2-3 hard drives and a couple of burners?
      Thanks Chewy, for the feedback.
      I really like the case, so the case is most likely set. As for the PSU, I suppose I could go cheaper, but I was looking for quiet and enough juice because I do plan for atleast another HDD, and perhaps up to 5 DVD burners (one of which may even be a HD-DVD burner). As for the video card, I am looking for something in the $200 range. maybe a GeForce 8600 or 8800.
      MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• jm1647
        An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
        • Apr 2005

Good Luck with the build MBK!!! . Don't let the pieces sit around like me when ya get 'em I got one running but only half the stuff I wanna put in it in and the other I only put the CPU, HSF and memory on the mobo so far

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

A little cheaper on the PS, you could go for a thermaltake; I know Chewy likes them, & the one I put in this last pc I built is whisper-quiet! Now I know how loud my other pc really is, & I am looking for ways to quiet it down a bit!

Good luck with the build!

Comment

• MikeyBK
            Digital Video Maniac
            • Feb 2006

Well Chewy, I think you will be glad to hear that I got the Antec 900 case and the PSU for only $180...
            The PSU is the Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W, which I got for $79 bucks from CompUSA about a week ago (80 instant savings). I also got the Antec 900 at CompUSA as well, for only $99 (40 instant savings)!!..

Not bad huh Chewy??.. Thanks for letting me know that I could/should go for less than $300 for those two components..

Also @ John,
            Yeah, I hope to get going soon. I have the final list for the rest of the components that I'd like, ready to order at Newegg.com, but am going to look for some more deals for a few more weeks or so..

Here's my wish list for the other components...
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131177
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150229
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220144
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115003
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148140

Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions or input.. Thanks..

BTW, Anyone ever install an OEM version of Windows Media Center OS??
            I want to go with that but I read some having install glitches...just was wondering??
            MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• jm1647
              • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by MikeyBK
              [COLOR=blue]
              The PSU is the Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W, which I got for $79 bucks from CompUSA about a week ago (80 instant savings). I also got the Antec 900 at CompUSA as well, for only $99 (40 instant savings)!!..
              @Mikey again good luck with the build. Not to be the bearer of bad tidings but my brother in law also picked up the Antec 650 PSU at Compusa for $79 (he was first in the store and there was only 1 on the shelf in Mt Laurel) He had bought one for a build a month earlier at a show and all of a sudden the PSU fan stopped running completely and also the case fans powered from the PSU. A bench test proved something in it went.

Coulda been a Monday built power supply and sometimes there is trouble with any make, model or manufacturer of any thing these days.

Comment

• MikeyBK
                Digital Video Maniac
                • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by jm1647
                @Mikey again good luck with the build. Not to be the bearer of bad tidings but my brother in law also picked up the Antec 650 PSU at Compusa for $79 (he was first in the store and there was only 1 on the shelf in Mt Laurel) He had bought one for a build a month earlier at a show and all of a sudden the PSU fan stopped running completely and also the case fans powered from the PSU. A bench test proved something in it went.

Coulda been a Monday built power supply and sometimes there is trouble with any make, model or manufacturer of any thing these days.
                I sure hope that was simply just a fluke!! Read some of the reviews...
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371001 Hope mine is OK.., better check it out..thanks for the feedback John..
                MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by MikeyBK
                  I sure hope that was simply just a fluke!! Read some of the reviews...
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371001 Hope mine is OK.., better check it out..thanks for the feedback John..
                  When we got the new one home and jumpered it the PSU fan started right up, with the old one out and jumpered, nadda happened. Nothing else went just the PSU and case fans stopped working and the box he has has a 200MM fan in the top and 2 120MM fans in the front and I think 1 120MM fan in the back so everything else stayed cool.

The reviews he seen he is why he bought it and I think he paid $119 at the show. Probably just a fluke, or it could be our family luck . I had a new Seagate 400GB SATA II drive go in less than a month not too long ago.

Like I mentioned today with the best of anything there is always the possibility of a bad apple in the bunch.

Comment

• katzdvd
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Feb 2006

Looks like a great build, MikeyBK, real nice components; those Seagate drives are absolutely the best! I have never had one go down on me, & I even knocked one of the table onto a hard floor once...

Might I suggest that you power it all thru a UPS system. I purchased one years ago, & have been very happy with it. You can't beat filtered/conditioned power along with the security of being able to properly shut down the system in the event of a power failure...

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

where's the killer HSF, it would be an absolute crime to not overclock that beast with that good memory

you might research which ram has the best chipsets

Comment

• MikeyBK
                        Digital Video Maniac
                        • Feb 2006

Thanks for the suggestion Katz, will take that into consideration.

Chewy, the Antec 900 is well equiped with 4 fans, and the E6600 does come with the hest sink and fan. Do you think I might still need more cooling?

Seems that the Patriot Rams and the E6600 are very overclockable, while still staying stable....
                        First things first though, gotta build the system first, lol ...although I have have tinkered with most components seperately, I am sortof a virgin when it comes to building a system from scratch/OEM,

BTW John, I haven't had a chance to test my PSU yet, I'm at my son's trying to sort out the electrical re-wiring that my brother-in-law (my wife's side of the fam) screwed up on. Now I have to go in behind him and re-wire his crappy re-wiring!!! lol (actually it's not really a laughing matter I guess)
                        Anyways I'll test it out later, thanks for letting me know about your brother-in-laws' prob....hey wait a minute!?!?...brother-in-law??...hmmmmm...lmao
                        Last edited by MikeyBK; 4 Jun 2007, 09:56 AM.
                        MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

HSF is heatsinkfan(cpu cooler)

modest OC will be fine but to push it and not burn it up the first year a premium is reccomended

this is a good thread to see what those cpu's will do with the right combination

little overboard but it's a hobby

Comment

• jm1647
                            • Apr 2005

@Mikey you'll be fine with the build, if I can do it you can too. The basic build is easy it's the OC'ing that needs the skill to get the best bang for the buck. You have all real good proven components there that work nice together you should be fine. But like Chewy said a better HSF for overclocking you'll definitely need if ya wanna go for the gusto

Hope ya get the wiring straightened out before the sparks fly

Comment

• MikeyBK
                              Digital Video Maniac
                              • Feb 2006

Thanks guys, I'll take all input/suggestions into consideration and look into them. I'm hoping that this case, w/ it's 3- 120 mm and 1- 200mm on top of the case, will keep the CPU really cool even while it is overclocked. But I will keep an eye on it and look into a more premium HSF if I go that far..

And John, I did test the PSU and it's Alive!!...lol, thanks for mentioning it, it would've sucked if I left it sitting around until I got all the other components only to find out it was DOA....

As for the re-wiring of my son's house...fortunately 'no sparks'...lol.
                              Did however re-wire two rooms for him because of my brother-in-laws' half-ass work!!! Worst part about that, is that he's the licensed electrician!!!

ah well....thanks again guys...
                              MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

Working...