X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Thanx for the tips on the partitions Chewy. My build is buzzing really fast now that I took the 500 gig hd out after transferring what I needed over to the 200 gig partition.

Quick ? Should I get some anti-static bags to store it? Right now it's wrapped in some small bubble wrap.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• copyless
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Apr 2006

MilesAhead,

I placed this here because it is where you had mentioned it, but anyway, I saw that Buy.com has an HP M9260F for $699 shipped. It is a refurbished unit, but it does have the Q6700, 4GB ram, 1TB HD (2x500), BD/HD, and a GeForce 8600GT.

I'm not sure how you feel about refurbs, but I have bought a few and have never experienced any problems. As a matter of I still use weekly a Dell Laptop I purchased about 8yrs ago, refurbished. Anyway I thought I would mention this, since you are looking around.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

When Vista was first out BestBuy would and still is returning computers with vista that the OS is corrupted. As far as defraging HD I have never had to reinstall the OS due to being corrupted. My son will not defrag his HD, so I have had to reinstall the OS so many times that I do not remember how many times I had to do it.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

@copyless I appreciate the heads-up.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

I would say about 90% of the refurb computers, had to have the OS reinstalled. 5% had cosmetic issues, and the last 5% had actual hardware issues. If a extended warranty was not purchased the computer will be sent to the manufacturer for repair.

Comment

• scotso2000
              • Jan 2010

I inherited vista with my notebook. Hate it. would like to go back to xp for free any thoughts

Comment

• Junkie_ball
                • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by youthinksoo
                Is anyone satisfied with Windows Vista? Have you upgraded? Have you downgraded back to XP? From what I heard Vista is not worth it, so I plan to stick with XP.
                Nope had visa installed for all of 5 mins reverted back to XP Pro. Just upgraded to windows 7 seem like the operating systems vista should have been still tetin though!

Linux is a gret alternative though and its free which is a bonus!!
                SYSTEM:

Pentioum Duo 6400, 8 GB Ram, 500Gb Hardrive, 32x DVD Rom, 16 x TCorp Duel Layer Burner, Geforce 7900GTX.

Bow to the gods of Digital-Digest

http://www.wix.com/martinhopkins/designandphotography

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

Windows 7 has been rock solid I got the pro version. I preordered it and got it for $99 with free shipping.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Junkie_ball
                    Nope had visa installed for all of 5 mins reverted back to XP Pro. Just upgraded to windows 7 seem like the operating systems vista should have been still tetin though!

Linux is a gret alternative though and its free which is a bonus!!
                    I got a PC with Vista 32 bit before SP1 and it took ages to tweak it and straighten it out. Even after all the messing around the Explorer drag & drop shell copy never worked right. Way slow. I had to use either TeraCopy or KillCopy just to get normal drag & drop copy. But the PC I got after that had Vista 64 bit (Home Premium as they always put on the off the shelf desktops) with SP1. A world of difference. I put W7 on the machine that had Vista 32 bit because no matter what I couldn't get the SP1 to go on.

About the only thing my Vista64 doesn't have is the Taskbar tweak with the jump lists. It runs very smooth. The only thing I would do differently if I bought a new machine or built one is put in 2 HDs. If you are doing a full speed copy or a video mux and the HD is maxed out, trying to load anything off the HD, well forget it. I put Firefox portable on my external USB just to run in those situations. These quad core PCs should really come stock with 2 HDs. One just can't keep up anymore.

Comment

• Junkie_ball
                      • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                      I got a PC with Vista 32 bit before SP1 and it took ages to tweak it and straighten it out. Even after all the messing around the Explorer drag & drop shell copy never worked right. Way slow. I had to use either TeraCopy or KillCopy just to get normal drag & drop copy. But the PC I got after that had Vista 64 bit (Home Premium as they always put on the off the shelf desktops) with SP1. A world of difference. I put W7 on the machine that had Vista 32 bit because no matter what I couldn't get the SP1 to go on.

About the only thing my Vista64 doesn't have is the Taskbar tweak with the jump lists. It runs very smooth. The only thing I would do differently if I bought a new machine or built one is put in 2 HDs. If you are doing a full speed copy or a video mux and the HD is maxed out, trying to load anything off the HD, well forget it. I put Firefox portable on my external USB just to run in those situations. These quad core PCs should really come stock with 2 HDs. One just can't keep up anymore.
                      Never ventured down the Vista 64 route. I do CAD and when vista first came out the CAD software was so unstable and would fall over all the time hence never bothered testing to much as the saying goes time is money.

Completely agree with the machines needing two HD's now thats have my i have my computers hardware configured 2x 250gb sata drives with the new windows 7 build. Havent managed to crash the new os once yet even whilst running Photoshop, AutoCAD, iTunes, Office and internet and proforming CAD publishing in the background. Very resource demending stuff some of it and still runs completely smooth.
                      SYSTEM:

Pentioum Duo 6400, 8 GB Ram, 500Gb Hardrive, 32x DVD Rom, 16 x TCorp Duel Layer Burner, Geforce 7900GTX.

Bow to the gods of Digital-Digest

http://www.wix.com/martinhopkins/designandphotography

Comment

• chowder
                        • Feb 2010

better than vista

vista tend to be problematic especially when we intend to use usb connected hardwares. xp much better or better yet window 7 premium.

Comment

• nonisugg3
                          • Mar 2010

Believe me VISTA is not even worth the letters used to spell it's name. This program takes over your computer by not allowing to make you own decisions without challenging you about installing programs. I have more error messages now then on any computer I have owned and worked with at work.

I agree with you about VISTA. I wish I had my XP back

Comment

• ericpepin
                            • Dec 2010

Yes but windows 7 is there to beat up XP, windows 7 best among all Microsoft operating systems. Thanks

Comment

• kelly.21
                              • Sep 2011

Me i Dont like Vista im Using windows 7 i think is more great rather than the vista..its good look and it also fast rather than vista

Comment

• justintheroux
                                • Dec 2011

I like Windows 7 Operating System as compare with all widows...

Comment

Working...