Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdrksmith
    Noob kid on the Block
    • Jun 2007

Vista is not that bad. Actually the Graphics are pure Eye Candy. I Remember those same thoughts when XP was first released. Roll with it. When all of the drivers and such were ready for all my stuff that is when I upgraded. I haven't looked back... Yet.
    Rob

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

Well, if you are a small business you can't afford to purchase all new software just so you have vista. Many small business that I have dealt with, have returned the computer purchased several days before. So if it is not that bad why return the computer.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• ElemonGW
        the comeback
        • May 2006

Windows Vista is one of the crappiest operating systems that computers have seen. UBUNTU FTW!!!
        Last edited by ElemonGW; 30 Jun 2007, 09:40 PM. Reason: Like my signature?

The 2nd comeback, decided to just ignore the n**b mods of this site (not all of course ) (you know who you are and I wish you 'll burn in hell )

Comment

• uufta
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Dec 2005

Has anybody here ever Googled "buy vista" sorry, just found it comical.

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
            Well, if you are a small business you can't afford to purchase all new software just so you have vista. Many small business that I have dealt with, have returned the computer purchased several days before. So if it is not that bad why return the computer.
            A big part of the problem with PC manufacturers is they will advertise/sell/ship a Vista PC/laptop with 512MB of RAM even with Vista Home basic this is a joke

Comment

• Dan
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by uufta
              Has anybody here ever Googled "buy vista" sorry, just found it comical.
              I just did, thanks for the chuckle uufta,lol. I see what you mean.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2006

That is done purposely in order for the retailers to stick it to the consumers for memory and then a hardware install of $39.00 to open up the computer and put the memory stick in.

Comment

• jm1647
                  An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                  • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
                  That is done purposely in order for the retailers to stick it to the consumers for memory and then a hardware install of $39.00 to open up the computer and put the memory stick in.
                  I just had both my daughters install their own RAM in their puters, They did it without a hitch Made me proud, they even remembered lefty loosey, righty tighty I'm still working on the wife to reset the clock on the VCR when the power goes out

The price to install RAM at the puter stores is insane and you also have the hassle of taking off the all cables, lugging the puter to the store and hooking everything up again when ya get it home.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2006

My wife and son do most of there hardware installs. Then my wife will do software troubleshooting also. But she is having latency problems on WOW. I have installed a new wireless nic but is still having problems. Also I know this is a little off topic.

Comment

• soup
                      Just Trying To Help
                      • Nov 2005

Well I haven't got rid of XP, but I have just started trying Vista out but I have them on seperate drives. Now if I can just find a step by step guide on how to run VistaBootPRO 3.3, I can have dual boot instead of having to go in to BIOS all the time & change the drives around.
                      Last edited by soup; 29 Jul 2007, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

vista 32 bit has one big problem, the os takes a gig to even get going, with 2 gigs you have enough for heavy duty apps, however it will only see 3 gigs if you have 4 gigs installed

since all newer computers run in dual channel, you have to waste a gig when you go to 4 gigs

Comment

• soup
                          Just Trying To Help
                          • Nov 2005

I just happen to have 4, but what's a gig between friends & isn't Microsoft our friend? It does affect XP as well as Vista 32 bit.
                          Last edited by soup; 29 Jul 2007, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by soup
                            I just happen to have 4, but what's a gig between friends & isn't Microsoft our friend? It does affect XP as well as Vista 32 bit.
                            yes but how many gigs are left to use(available) for other programs?

xp's footprint is smaller, I would assume xp with 2 gigs is almost as fast as vista with 4, if not faster

another factor is a computer is usually faster with only 2 sticks instead of 4

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

Well I am just starting out on Vista so I can't make an informed comment just yet until I see if certain programs I want to work on it, actually do work. Only time will tell. With dual boot, I will always have a choice, for a while anyway.

Comment

• Chewy
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2003

what's the difference in ram available with the 2 OS's?

Comment

Working...