• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Any Dead Pixels on your LCD Screen?

One just appeared a short while ago on my 2 mo. old (approx) 22" W/S. I was a bit peeved, of course. Upper right corner of my screen - 3" from top, 3" in from right. Conspicuous area, for sure. Did some googling, came across a site with "pixel testing" & much info;
    If you notice dead pixels, sometimes you can massage them back to life: just rub the screen by pressing a finger gently through a rag around the pixel. No guaranty but sometimes it works; LCD monitors are fairly fragile and easily scratched, so take it easy.
    I did that, & what do you know, it actually worked! I could see the dot start to lighten as I very gently massaged around it, & it is pretty much gone now. If I look really closely, I can pick it out, but I don't know if someone else could who didn't know it was there.

Just thought I would post the experience for those that may experience this - you may want to give the "pixel massage" a try!
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

Thanks katz!!! I'l hafta remember that I only have 1 LCD screen and thats on my laptop

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

It has worked for me in the past as well.
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

Glad to supply the info. Remember, a "gentle touch"!

Comment

• TNT
          DVD Shrinker
          • Jan 2004

I've heard the find pixel, turn off monitor, apply pressure, turn monitor back on, release technique, but I don't know if it works any better.

The best method that doesn't work as well any more was the buy at Costco, find a dead pixel, return. Now you're limited to 90 days, but hey it's much better than a place like newegg that requires a bunch of dead pixels before they will take it back.
          I bought a monitor from Costco.com and there was a dead pixel. I tried pushing, and the "programs" that are supposed to fix them over night, but nothing worked. The only thing that worked was the return.

The FIRST thing you should do after you hook up your monitor is to check for dead pixels using solid color images. There are programs out there for this, but you can easily create them with a paint program. You just need red, green, blue, white and black.
          Last edited by TNT; 14 Jun 2007, 02:17 PM.
          Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
          I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

Working...