Keep laptop plugged in all the time for charging?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Keep laptop plugged in all the time for charging?

Is it a good or bad idea keep a laptop plugged in all the time for charging the battery? The charger turns off after the battery is up to full capacity, correct?
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

I do, but somehow, I think it's a good idea once or twice a month to let the cells fully discharge.

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

I do, but somehow, I think it's a good idea once or twice a month to let the cells fully discharge.
      Yeah, I know the whole thing about battery "memory", so I guess it would make sence to discharge it once in awhile.

Comment

• ed klein
        Banned
        • Mar 2004

You can not overcharge any unit. The current will stop flowing when the unit is completely charged. Just be sure you apply the rated voltage to the unit while it is charging, so yes leave it pluged in at all times when not in the mobil position.

And yes what Blu has said it true, you need to do deep charge recycle on the unit approximately once a month, which means discharge the unit using it until it is completely discharged and then recharge it back to fully charged.

This will extend the life of the battery.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

I notice that the charger is quite warm all the time, even when the batt. shows a full charge & the pc has not been used for some time. I am wondering if it will prematurely fail?

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by katzdvd
            I notice that the charger is quite warm all the time, even when the batt. shows a full charge & the pc has not been used for some time. I am wondering if it will prematurely fail?
            That's what I always fear, I have ruined some batteries that way

those automatic circuits don't always work like they should, when the charger and the battery are both getting hot after a full charge is reached and there's no current drain then it's obvious something isn't working right

Comment

• toomanycats
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2005

I would never leave a Laptop plugged in all the time. When the battery is full unplug it. You going to inadvertently overcharge it because to check the charge state the charger has to see how much current the battery is drawing so it has to apply some to check it, that is why the charger is warm. There could be a inductive and or capacitance reaction which again involves the battery working with the charger, otherwise there would be no warmth. Blu is right, you really should discharge it to the point that is necessary and then recharge it, though this is not too much of a problem with lithium batteries. Overcharging kills a lot of batteries, and I have never trusted chargers as I believe Chewy is correct when he says they don't always do what they are supposed to do, or as advertised. RFBurns is the one who really knows about this kind of stuff.

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

those automatic circuits don't always work like they should, when the charger and the battery are both getting hot after a full charge is reached and there's no current drain then it's obvious something isn't working right
                Agreed; I know from my r/c car/plane/boat days, we used to use "peak" detection chargers that were supposed to sense the batt. condition by resistance, i.e. resistance goes way up when things get hot, that is how they figured the packs were fully charged. But those were for racing batt. pack, which were short lived anyway. One season was about all you could expect out of a racing pack, if you were lucky...

Comment

• ed klein
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2004

If your charger is hot or the battery is hot to touch, then your charger unit has applied to much voltage to the battery, past the normal rated voltage of your battery, your charger is defective and should be replaced.

Current draw is determined by how much discharge is on the battery, and the current max rating on the charging unit.

Again, you CAN NOT overcharge any unit if the charger is working properly as long as the correct voltage is applied to the battery. Current flow will stop when the battery is fully charged.

Leaving a properly working battery charger pluged into you computer all the time will help keep the battery fully charged.

Comment

Working...