• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

norton internet 2006:complete removal!

fellas i've been on here all day searching and reading the posts on how to remove this norton 2006 internet program. i hate it and want it completely out. please suggest the best procedure on how to do this. i just finished doing a complete clean the other day and everything was running great and fast until i put norton on and noticed the weight it put on my pc quickly. looking forward to your feedbacks as always.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • locoeng
    Who Farted?
    • Dec 2005

Remove all you can via Norton's own uninstall program, then run Ccleaner and fix all the bits and pieces left behind. Then search your PC for anything else left behind and manually delete it, run Ccleaner again. This should get the bulk of the hulk off your PC, but when you run across anything in the future pertaining to Norton just manually delete it and run Ccleaner. This is how I removed it from my systems.

I would recommend Avast and Zonealarm as alternative AV solutions, as well as the Spybot, Search & Destroy and Adaware SE.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
    Walt Kelly

Comment

• Rick hayes
      • Sep 2007

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
      The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer. ... Use the Norton Removal Tool to remove a failed installation or a damaged Norton product.

service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039 · 9/17/2007 · Cached page

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Originally Posted by locoeng
        Remove all you can via Norton's own uninstall program, then run Ccleaner and fix all the bits and pieces left behind. Then search your PC for anything else left behind and manually delete it, run Ccleaner again. This should get the bulk of the hulk off your PC, but when you run across anything in the future pertaining to Norton just manually delete it and run Ccleaner. This is how I removed it from my systems.

I would recommend Avast and Zonealarm as alternative AV solutions, as well as the Spybot, Search & Destroy and Adaware SE.
        thnx loco. thnx for that heads up on posting also. can i download that Ccleaner from the internet? or do i need to purchase it?

also does Avast and Zonealarm work together. if so can i also download this or does it have to be purchased. the Spybot, Search & Destroy and Adaware SE, are these additional programs to go w/Azast and Zonealarm? if so do all of them need to be installed to complement Avast and Zonealarm. can they be downloaded also? please recommend a combo of these to me so i could install them asap. thnx.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• locoeng
          Who Farted?
          • Dec 2005

I forgot about the Norton removal tool ~ http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039

Download the appropriate application.

If I ever recommend a pay program I usually make a not as such...all the programs that I listed are free and in combination can do as good a job if not better at keeping your PC free from goblins than the big boys that cost some dough.

Avast! - http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
          ZoneAlarm - http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ku_list_za.jsp
          Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
          AdAware SE - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
          Ccleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
          Walt Kelly

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

loco thnx for those links. i took care of the norton issue and i put Avast and Spybot in my pc. can i add Adaware SE to this combo or will it conflict w/Spybot? i'm new to this but, i'm guessing Avast and Spybot would be enough.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

with spybot use the immunize feature but not teatimer unless you can remember to turn off teatimer everytime you want to install a program, protecting the registry is great but you can hose your computer also

I also use adaware(tested with it) and lately I have been using SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, probably the best of the three, but I don't let any of them run at the same time.

If you want to be safe and surf use Firefox with noscript or surf only from a limited account and keep windows/IE fully updated.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Chewy thnx for the info on using multiple spywares, and also the new spyware you're using. when you suggested not using scripts in firefox did you mean disabling the java and java script options under the content option in tools?
                no one but me is using my pc and i only have my account w/my isp. is that what you meant by limited account?

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

limited account in windows xp keeps malware from executing system changes

create a new user, and not give it admin priviledges

then only use that login to surf with

Comment

Working...