• Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
    Only disable system restore if

1. you've fixed your computer and you are sure of it and those restore points would only make it worse, for example reinstalling a virus.

or

2. you feel comfortable without that backup and want to recover space and improve performance

you can turn it off, reboot and then turn it back on, manually setting a restore point
    chewy, that last option of turning it off ,rebooting and then turning it back on, that would still have it consuming space and preventing optimal performance right?

i forgot whether you suggested to disable it or just turn it off in your power user sticky.

i think u said chuck it.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

leave it enabled after cleaning it up, until you get a feel for running a computer without
      screwing it up

go slow with all this

rome wasn't built in a day

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

thnx chewy. i do need to take it easy. the old tale about the turtle & the rabbit. the turtle was slow, but he did get there.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

Back when I bought my first new computer in 97, a 1700$ p133, win95, I hosed it in 2 weeks trying to connect to juno for email, aol had something to do with it also

had the oem 95 disk but took forever to figure out how to take a boot floppy and reinstall

bootable 98 cd's and I thought I had died and gone to heaven

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Back when I bought my first new computer in 97, a 1700$ p133, win95, I hosed it in 2 weeks trying to connect to juno for email, aol had something to do with it also

had the oem 95 disk but took forever to figure out how to take a boot floppy and reinstall

chewy, i'm also new to the lingo. by hosed did you mean you chucked it or burnt it out?

now that i'm here let me also ask should i accept an update from microsoft which installs a malware program to check for viruses, etc.. etc.. i already have my own as i'm using spybot, zonealarm, and avast. i really don't want anything eating up space if i could help it.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

my latest maliscous software remover tool is only 5.5 MB and behaves itself

unlike avast

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

my latest maliscous software remover tool is only 5.5 MB and behaves itself

unlike avast
                which malicious software remover tool are you using? is it from microsoft?

i don't get what you mean about avast not behaving itself. do you mean it begins to hog up space?

Comment

• gonwk
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2005

Hi guys long time no see ... been busy.

@ Chewy ... dido dr_ml's Q ... which software are you referring to!?!?

G!

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

if you have been doing the updates from microsoft then look in programs

Malicious Software Removal Tool
                    mine is a little old

april or may, never hardly use it, used too many other things, hated defender

not behaving itself is hiding all those things I want to turn off at bootup

I like using multiple antivirus scans so I need the program to stay off until I call it up
                    Last edited by Chewy; 15 Oct 2007, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

if you have been doing the updates from microsoft then look in programs

mine is a little old

april or may, never hardly use it, used too many other things, hated defender

not behaving itself is hiding all those things I want to turn off at bootup

I like using multiple antivirus scans so I need the program to stay off until I call it up
                      chewy, do i have to install this maliscious software removal tool from microsoft? that lil yellow update shield which reminds you of updates to be installed will stay there until i accept the update. and if i do have to install it, can i disable it so that i use avast instead?

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

it's just a tool, doesn't really install like a true program, accept the update and let it do the scan

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

thnx. i'll do that now. get it over with.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2007

hi chewy, hi guys. you know i don't even know where that maliscious removal tool is on my pc. i accepted it, but i can't find it. it's probably a mood point anyway, but where would it be?

Comment

• dr_ml422
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2007

ed klein mentioned getting a good registry cleaner. any suggestions on the ones most recommended.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • May 2007

looked up hosed. in this case it would mean"broke".

Comment

Working...