Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gawer
    • Nov 2007

hibernate problem and overheating

hey guys i have a couple of problems with my fairly new laptop (Acer 5051) and needed some advice, afta some googling i found this place!
    i have had my laptop a few months now and brough it with xp but with free upgrade to vista. now i have vista installed but i have a couple of problems one is that half the time when i put my laptop on hibernate (from startup menu) it doesnt go in to hibernate but instead the screen turns off but i can still hear the laptop running, the screen doesnt turn on whatever i do so i have to either leave it (and let it's battery finish) or turn it off and on again where it then says my system wasnt shut down correctly!
    secondaly, another problem is that i think the laptop might be over heating as the fan is on a lot of the time and sometimes turns on and off in a short space of time. after a while a while it blows out very hot air. is it normal to blow out such hot air and for the fan to be constantly turning on and of?
    i still have waranty but i thought i'd get real professional help before i think about calling up customer support
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Did it work well with XP? Can you go back? I find generally that it's good to run a PC with the OS that came preinstalled. For one thing, when there's a problem on that make of PC the manufacturer can often get a fix that's incorporated into the OEM version of the OS. If you get a generic upgrade there's more chance of running into problems.

I never use hibernate on my systems so I can't offer any experience there. I try to keep the PC booting up and running and shutting down simple. Stuff that automatically turns stuff on and off tends to create more opportunities for problems(although I can understand on a laptop hibernate might be more desirable than on a desktop.)

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

I have an Acer Aspire 3000, and it is normal for the fan to come on and off, and to blow out hot air. The temperature of the air also depends on what apps you are running. My get hot when I am defraging the h/d. I have my set to be on all the time in a reduced speed, to set the fan use the acer e manager on the desktop. The hibernation problem must be a vista problem. On my laptop it works fine. I would got back to xp and see if any of your problem hibernate.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...