Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snagel
    • Apr 2006

Ad-aware SE

Is Ad-aware SE no longer able to be updated. I saw a thread somewhere where you could manually download the definition files. I did that just about ten minutes ago. Now my copy says that my definition files are 730,487 days old. Is it possible to load file definitions manually and drop the unzipped information or is that now impossible. Thanks for your help. Snagel
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Somebody else may have better information but what I've found generally on AdAware is when you check for updates, the high priority virus database stuff is ok to download.
    But then if it has a recommended download, it's a code update that usually/sometimes/may break the program. Seems like after I do a code update, I can't update the virus db anymore. My scheme is to download virus db updates, avoid code updates but after a while just uninstall then download and install the new version. Seems to be more stable that way.

Comment

• ed klein
      Banned
      • Mar 2004

I removed my Ad-aware SE and replaced it with AVG Anti-spyware (freeware) version.

I found Ad-aware SE to be too buggy and sometime not function properly.
      AVG Anti-spyware has a cleaner menu and much faster operation on some of the menu's. Also, the definations get updated every day and sometimes more than once a day.

I have always liked the way AVG updates, their anti-virus and their anti-spyware. Very fast even for a dial-up connection.

Comment

• BR7
        He is coming to your little town!
        • Aug 2005

I really like Spyware Terminator (freeware)

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

I use AVG and AdAware for the ocassional scan. Once in awhile I do SuperAntiSpyware. But I don't use any of the resident shield modules. For real-time
          protection I rely on Sandboxie. I set up its service in Manual mode to make it easy to shut off when I'm not surfing. That way burns and other stuff like disk defrag goes normally and at full speed. In fact my browser is running "sandboxed" right now. Only the slightest lag time on downloads. Surfing seems the same.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

I gave up on adaware, really like superantispyware and spybot better.

Use spybot mostly just to immunize, I set it to ignore my good cookies and stupid stuff like having windows security notifications turned off. I did a clean up with ATF then ran a full scan with spybot, first all clean one I have ever done!

I run about as lean as anyone can, hate lags.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Everything engineering is a trade-off of some sort. I've been using NoScript with Firefox and that's ok but sometimes it just gets to be a pain with allow this domain temporarily and don't allow that one. Instead I can just start Sandboxie and click "Allow Scripts Globally" or just use Opera. Stuff goes through on the first click, but all downloads, cookies and registry stuff goes in the sandbox. You can designate folders to be prompted or have the download automatically copy out of the sandbox so it's pretty seemless compared to just about everything except surfing without a condom.

Comment

Working...