Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottie32
    • Jan 2008

Vista and Firewire card problem

I have recently upgraded from XP Media Centre on my Dell Dimension E520 to Vista Home Premium. I now find that my video camera a JVC GR-DVL107 is now not recognised. Using the system tools The IEEE setup seems to be OK with the Belkin card being recognised as "VIA OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 host controller"

Needless to say all worked well in XP I've checked Belkin's support site and there are no specific Vista drivers for the card and they claim that the card should work.

Any suggestions?
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

the card will work fine with vista, when MS went to sp2 with xp and then came out with vista they got a lot more strict with the firewire "standard", another cam might be fine, but those older jvc's have a hard time with anything but the texas instrument chipsets.

TI pretty much wrote the book for firewire

A friend of mine and I went thru this for weeks last year with his old jvc, it worked great with xp sp1 and his card(via chipset), we reloaded xp w/ sp2 and never could get it to work with that card or another via, an nec, an agere? but it worked fine with his wife's laptop, we tried every patch and driver in the world

the laptop had a TI chipset

he bought a firewire card with TI chipset and the damn thing starting working better than ever

Comment

• scottie32
      • Jan 2008

Firewire problem with Vista

Many thanks for your prompt reply! It would appear then that if I replaced the card with one with the TI chipset things should be OK. The next question is therefore where can I source a Firewire card with this chipset (in the UK)?

I don't want to buy a new camera with USB because that would be too simple!

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

usb doesn't work well with dv video capture, too many dropped frames

if you know someone with another computer/laptop w/firewire test your jvc?

and someone with another kind of cam, test your firewire

it's a real mess, mostly I blame jvc

Comment

• scottie32
          • Jan 2008

JVC Vista Firewire

Thanks; the JVC worked very well with the Belkin firewire card in the Dell Dimension E520 under XP Media Centre 2005. The problem came when I "upgraded" to Vista Home Premium!

Comment

• scottie32
            • Jan 2008

Vista Firewire problem solved!

It appears that Vista does not recognise firewire cameras by default; in their words they are not "enumerated" but they give a workaround which works.

It is in 2 parts:

1 backup registry (then restore in the event of a disaster) following this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us and then

2 for the registry change follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927827

After I did this the JVC was recognised and I could the capture video

Comment

Working...