X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

Upgrading Motherboard

I have a Dell E510, and I have been doing some reading on the Dell boards that it is possible to a upgrade E4600 core 2 duo processor if you have Pentium D 820.

1.I would like to confirm if this is possible
    2.If so would my old ram work with new board?
    3.If this is possible what other upgrades would I have to make that I may be over looking

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BR7; 21 Jan 2008, 09:08 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

that's a lamer ddr2 motherboard, unless you could find a bios update that showed support for core cpu's I would think that you would be limited to this

Intel® Pentium® D Processor with Dual Core Technology - 800 Sequence - up to 820 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2 MB Cache)
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology - 600 Sequence, up to 650 (3.40GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache)

the ram is 533 tops
    Last edited by Chewy; 22 Jan 2008, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• BR7
      • Aug 2005

I will do some more digging in that thread I found and see if I can find more information what this guy did(if he is being truthful)

Thanks Chewy

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

your present rig is fine, you did put more ram in it?

gaming sucks but then that's what the ps3 is for

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

that is a very dangerous thing to do, unless u have a spare c2d processor somwhere.
          to my experience dell is very lousy in allowing to upgarde. i have 2 otiplex gx520's with pentium 4's at work though same available frm dell with pentium D, when i tried it gave me error at post "processor not supported or somthing " press any key, after pressing, it boots normal to windows and windows find the pentium D.

then i tried with one GX620 if it will support newer pentium dual cores [same as c2d E4xxx series with 1 mb less cache] and it didnt work.

only good i can find is what im using at home, optiplex 745 that upgraded to E4400 frm Pentium D. and since then im happy.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• BR7
            • Aug 2005

Thanks for the input guys,I will not act on this being it's so risky.I will either save up for a new PC or maybe take a stab at building one. I may get Intel's quad core, but who knows maybe AMDs Phenom processors will improve in time

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

Working...