• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

dual boot or kick in the butt?

Ah jeez!! Guess I never learn. I just had to add XP onto this machine since
    C# Express is unusable in Vista(at least for my purposes.)

I'm almost there!! The biggest hassle was getting the ethernet interface XP driver. After a couple of days I should have FAVC running on this beast so it will be interesting to see if XP is really that much faster.

• Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

How did you fix the bootloader miles?

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

had to mess around

Originally Posted by Chewy
      How did you fix the bootloader miles?
      I followed a guide I found online. After using VistaBootPro I could get back
      into Vista but XP didn't want to boot. For some reason when you go through all the install and get back to Vista boot utility, the XP partition doesn't have ntldr or ntdetect.com. You need to boot the XP install CD and copy those 2 files to the root of the XP partition using the repair console or whatever they call that command line utility. Then all is well.

So far the XP desktop/explorer is wicked snappy. My external HD does large reads a little more than 10% faster using TeraCopy than with TeraCopy under Vista. Only thing is during FAVC conversion the second copy of QuEnc was hamstrung. It took almost a minute to approach the first copy afa fps. When you click the taskbar button it doesn't even want to open for about 20 seconds! (The first copy opens right away and runs at an fps comparable to Vista.) I'm going to do another test to see if it was just the .avi file or if it's an XP thing(I installed the AMD driver thing that's supposed to fix XP SP 2 multi-core performance issues.)

After the FAVC test then I'll try out the DVD Flick beta.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Glad to say Koepi's XviD Codec fixed up the dual core processing with FAVC. Seems close to Vista performance now... maybe just a tad of an edge to Vista afa fps but only a few %.

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

Well you did good, I could never get that dual boot going when I had Vista. Thinking is my MBR was screwed & could not find any guides at the time or maybe I was just looking in the wrong places. Anyway that's all behind me now, again good job.

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

Hey soup!! Google just bailed me out.. as usual.

Comment

Working...