Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tu02
    • Mar 2008

Laptops with Linux or no OS

I want a new Window-Compatible laptop. For many reasons - I'll be happy to list them on request - Windows Vista is not suited for me. Those who have search, know that very, very few new laptops are available with Win XP as the installed OS.

Now I am in Thailand, returning to California within next month. I mention that because both ACER and ASUS have several models with either a Linux variant as installed OS (ACER) or no OS installed with Vista drivers (ASUS).

Acer comes with one year International Warrantee (I called ACER in US to verify that Warrantee is valid if Win XP is installed in dual boot configuration).
    ASUS has two year International Warrantee.

ASUS line is more upscale than is ACER, and more expensive. I prefer ASUS as the Linux variant in ACER is not much used in US; so if I want to learn Linux, I can install variant most compatible with common open source programs.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with either of these laptops; if so, please comment on your experience.

Thank you.

tu02
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

ibm invented the laptop, sold out to Lenovo, they took up where IBM left off, and then paired with novell for linux

I have been hearing good things about them

Not a big fan of acer computers

Comment

• tu02
      • Mar 2008

Lenovo Thinkpad

Concur with your comments on Lenovo. However, in Thailand, only comes with Vista installed. I had wanted to copy my PC configuration to laptop and then carry to US. Now have Apple PB G4 OSX (Tiger - not Intel) as only laptop Just much clumsier to transfer large amount data.

On other hand, price of Lenovo (and all International PCs) much cheaper in US than TH.

Thanks for comment on Acer. My instinct agrees, but no definite data to back up instinct,

Tu02

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

asus make good motherboards, not real impressed with their compact computers

hp make a damn good laptop

Comment

Working...