X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrinkOrDie
    It Was The Dog, I Swear!
    • Nov 2003

Taskbar Buttons Will Not Group

I've searched the web, I've searched forums. I cannot find a solution. I did find other people have had the same problem.

Here's the problem: I just finished building a new PC and I'm running WindowsXP Media Center edition OEM. Windows flat refuses to group similar taskbar buttons. This is very annoying. If I have multiple windows open, minimized to the taskbar, each window has it's own button, just like the old days before XP.

I have checked the option to group the buttons, I have restarted, I've done everything. They won't group.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

TKS.
    My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

Is the task bar full ?? If not and you want to group them try what is in this link, I don't know if it works. I run in 800X600 so my task bar fills up quick and they group with no problems.

Edit forgot the link http://kb.iu.edu/data/akjr.html

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
      • Nov 2003

No, the taskbar is not full. I'm using a 24'' widescreen LCD monitor with 1920 X 1200 native resolution. However, things look way too small that high. I'm running at 1280 X 800.

The link you provided says "By default, Windows XP waits until the Taskbar is full before grouping these together" That's the first time I've ever heard that. My old XP machine always grouped buttons together regardless of resolution, and it would group them even if I only had 2 similar windows open, and plenty of room on the taskbar. I've always seen that same behavior on all XP machines I've ever used. Things that make me go "Hmmmm.. WTF?"

I'm about to sign off so I'll have to wait and try the reg edit tomorrow. I'll be sure and let you know how it goes.
      My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• jm1647
        An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
        • Apr 2005

The link says full, MS says when they become small. In the link I posted is this link from Uncle Bill http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281628

In my present setup with icons in the quick launch area and also near the time in 800X600 I can have open 3 instances of notepad minimized. Upon opening and minimizing the 4th instance they group. If I change my resolution to 1024X768 it increases to 5 instances of notepad that stay single, upon opening and minimizing the 6th instance they group

Originally Posted by DrinkOrDie
        No, the taskbar is not full. I'm using a 24'' widescreen LCD monitor with 1920 X 1200 native resolution. However, things look way too small that high. I'm running at 1280 X 800.

The link you provided says "By default, Windows XP waits until the Taskbar is full before grouping these together" That's the first time I've ever heard that. My old XP machine always grouped buttons together regardless of resolution, and it would group them even if I only had 2 similar windows open, and plenty of room on the taskbar. I've always seen that same behavior on all XP machines I've ever used. Things that make me go "Hmmmm.. WTF?"

I'm about to sign off so I'll have to wait and try the reg edit tomorrow. I'll be sure and let you know how it goes.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

If you're running XP the easiest way to set it is with Tweak UI.
          See Taskbar and Start Menu->Grouping

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
            It Was The Dog, I Swear!
            • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
            If you're running XP the easiest way to set it is with Tweak UI.
            See Taskbar and Start Menu->Grouping
            That's it! Now I remember I did that with my old clunker. I had forgot about that. That's what I'll do.
            Oh, and let us not forget that Tweak UI also lets us change the size of those buttons.

Consider the issue solved. Thanks!
            Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 16 Mar 2008, 04:39 AM.
            My toy:

Comment

Working...