• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

64 bit coming on strong or what?

Looks like there'll be more and more media center type PCs configured with
    4 GB ram and Vista Home Premium SP1 64 bit edition sub $1000.

I just hope they get all those cool gimmicky 32 bit Shell Extensions to
    work with a 64 bit shell! Looks like Win32's days are numbered.

Here's one that has the Gigabit Wired Ethernet for $950

Shop online at Best Buy in your country and language of choice. Best Buy provides online shopping in a number of countries and languages.

If I can find a Gigabit Wired Router cheap that works I might be tempted
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

from what I have heard the next Microsoft OS family will be pure 64 bit from the ground up

there will be no 32 bit versions

the core basic will be lean and mean and run on entry level computers well

promises, promises, promises from redmond

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
      • Nov 2003

Looks like Win32's days are numbered
      Oh, please. You draw that conclusion from that HP PC? gimmie a break. It's not that great. For one thing, it's an HP [gag]

I just hope they get all those cool gimmicky 32 bit Shell Extensions to
      work with a 64 bit shell!
      I pretty much have to cross my fingers to get anything worth while to work with Vista (32 bit or not) or any 64 bit Windows. Until that changes, you can keep dreaming in 64 bit. Seems like you're getting miles ahead of yourself.

[EDIT] I have no doubt that 64 bit is the future. Key word here is "future"
      Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 20 Apr 2008, 03:55 PM.
      My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Looks like the future is now. I almost bought a PC about 6 weeks ago with a similar configuration to the one I posted but it was $400 more.

As these quad cores start hitting the market at consumer prices I think more and more we'll see 4 GB ram standard. So that implies they have to stick a 64 bit OS on 'em to sell any after market ram(expandable to 8 GB etc.)

They need to get crackin' with 64 bit compilers though. Still aren't many choices out there. I sort of had my doubts about going 64 bit cuz stuff like Sandboxie wouldn't work, but it looks like it's the only choice if you want stuff like 10/100/1000 wired ethernet standard. It's goin' that way like a train with no brakes!!

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
          It Was The Dog, I Swear!
          • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by Chewy
          from what I have heard the next Microsoft OS family will be pure 64 bit from the ground up
          Well that's fine. By the time they come up with a (not so) working version, perhaps they will get Vista updated and patched to a point where it might actually be useful. I'm holding my breath in anticipation. (not)
          My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Supposedly there will be a lean mean secure core, and then you add bells and whistles to make a more elaborate setup.

Of course they may just be trying to overcome the huge public relations disaster that vista proved to be.

I think the best hope for a good OS will be fueled by businesses that haven't bought into Vista at all, MS needs to get something out for them asap. Many workstation class machines will need a new OS, XP is not going to work forever.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Chewy, it took quite a few years to get the 16 bit drivers out of 32 bit OSs. As DrinkOrDie says, by the time they clear all the 32 bit stuff out of the 64 bit OSs they'll probably be mature enough that they won't be such a PITA to use. Plus, the 128 bit OS will be on the way!! I think OS/2, from what I heard, had 16 bit drivers right up until the end(at least for PS/2 mouse and keyboard.)

I am seeing some good reviews on some of these machines afa Vista 64 running very smoothly. The signed driver schtick is prolly not good for system builders but for those running out of the box systems I'm hearing Vista H Premium 64 isn't glitchy(if you discount UAC.. which I turn off anyway.) Other thing is before I get one I have to make sure I can do the image backup easily since Sandboxie type protections aren't going to work apparently.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

It's not an issue with stability that has caused business to forgoe the vista upgrade, it's an issue of a crappy install out of the box experience

remember when business computers came with no sound, nt hung on for years and didn't even support usb

to understand the different needs you would have to install xp server 2003 and see how
                it defaults to a xp power user setup

just think how long it takes to tweak vista into a workstation? Microsoft missed the boat here and it's a major embarrasment for them

dell will continue to sell xp pro business computers well into 2010 thru a downgrade program

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

Some of the game manufacturers are also staying with XP platform. I was told that program development is much easier using XP.
                  Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

@Chewy business and consumer requirements are always at variance. AFA tweaking Vista, I don't think they could have made it more annoying out of the box if they tried. If there's one thing I hate it's a hard drive light that stays on while I'm not doing anything!! Makes me think somebody is reading my files!!

@DHW, if not being able to use my ActiveX Controls in Visual Studio 2008 is any indication, they're not lying. They work without a hitch from Win98 to XP.

Comment

Working...