X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

A couple XP Problems

This may be caused by the same thing that causes the random Windows errors... but does anyone know a solution?

Occasionally, something will lock my Windows up so that if I insert or remove a disc, it will still say the title of the previous disc, and will run into issues in media players (except those like MPC that don't care about the drive's actual name)
    On that same note, it also seems to not notice USB ports. If I plug in my USB flash drive or 4-in-one card reader, they won't show up under My Computer. And if I unplug one, it won't disappear. I found out that viewing it in a non-Windows interface (like browser in FileZilla, for example), they WOULD show up but it runs into problems trying to open files.

The other thing that sometimes happens is pesky programs that you can't kill. I use a thing called "process", a command-line tool, where you type "process -k task.exe" and it usually kills it.
    Sometimes, though, a certain program will refuse to terminate, Process will just keep trying and task manager won't show it closing. A couple DVD apps do this if they run into read errors and I try to force-close the program... same goes with ImgBurn if that ever messes up.

Does anyone know how to fix either of these problems? So far the only discovered solution is to restart - but with running a webserver and always doing something that requires my PC to be on (such as Rebuilding DVDs), it's not very practical.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

All of these things can be explored/killed by the best program for this sort of stuff .... Process Explorer by sysinternals. Freeware.

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• paglamon
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

Unlocker is also very good. And freeware too.
      sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

if I insert or remove a disc, it will still say the title of the previous disc
        hmm memory trouble, i might be wrong but it just clicks me that it might be memory problem
        Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

@paglamon, I have Unlocker, but the only way I figured out how to use it is to right-click on a file that's in use and click Unlock... can it fix the Explorer stuff too?

@blutach, I'll look at it... The one I have is just called "process", not sure if it's that or not.

@atifsh, so how would I fix it?
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

if I insert or remove a disc, it will still say the title of the previous disc
            that's what happens when you have autoinsert notif turned off

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

wow it might be as simple as this...
              if that doesnt fix, try removing one or more memory stiks if u have more then one.
              Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

drfsupercenter if the process that won't die is ctfmon.exe then it won't stay killed. You have to at least unregister the MS Office dlls that keep loading it. A google should bring up the MS page for how to uninstall if that's the culprit.

On the DVD showing the old label in explorer, I have autoinsert shut off so that happens to me all the time. I use FreeCommander to look at CD and DVD discs instead of explorer.

With the USB thing, if USB never worked right and it's XP, could be this KB article:
                Helps resolve the "USB Device not recognized error" that occurs when trying to access a USB external hard drive.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                  NOT an online superstore
                  • Oct 2005

I think that's turned on though... I get popups for some DVDs but not for others. my drive has a life of its own

@MilesAhead, it's more like DVD programs like ImgBurn and the ones that rip discs... and USB works fine, just sometimes it stops.
                  CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                  Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

On XP I use TweakUI to turn off all the autoplay, autoinsert notification etc... but then again, I don't play music CDs on my PC. Even with everything turned off in Vista I still get a popup if I try to put a blank or home burned DVD in the drive and open Explorer. It wants
                    to format it. So I look at discs using FreeCommander.

On the USB thing I don't see anything about connections timing out except for wireless networks. There's supposed to be a setting controlling how often the USB polling happens on XP. If you search on "usb polling interval XP" you should find out where it lives. Don't know if it will help but I don't see other info out there.

Comment

Working...