Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Apr 2006

Speakers won't work

I have Vista Home Premium.
    Intel Dual Core 6600 @ 2.40GHz
    2046MB; 32 bit OS

Here's a screenshot of my Device Manager:

Here's the problem. My Bose Speakers aren't working on my PC. They work fine on my other PC. My headphones work perfectly in the front ports but not the back ports and the speakers won't work on the front or back ports.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks ...
    That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

My first suggestion would be to also post the configuration that does work.
    Maybe one of these guys who know a lot about hardware and drivers will see something
    by comparing the two.

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

Had the same issue. One pair of spekers worked but the new ones did not work. I had to open the settings for sound and try different settings to get it to work.

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

+1 = what Miles said.

I guess you did try the obvious; connect another pair of speakers to this pc to ensure that the soundcard is pumping sound to them. Double check all connections that they are in the proper place.

A connection to an improper jack (input/output) etc. can happen easily. In the dim light behind a pc tower, I've been know to plug into a mic input, etc.

I am wondering about a missing driver though, (maybe related/maybe not) since your dev. manager shows that. When you boot the pc, does it give you a "looking for new hardware" notification?

You could remove that device & then reboot, see what it comes up with then.

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

1: check if headphones work, then try same port to plugin
          2: Dual audio inputs provide a quick and easy connection for 2 separate audio sources check this thing.
          3: set ur speaker configuration frm vista sound manager... means configure ur setup for stereo.
          4lug it in green port only.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Kabuchan
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Apr 2006

It was working perfectly fine and then one night it stopped. I had my headphones jacked in the back as well and they stopped working too. I took them and hooked them into the front and the headphones were fine but the speakers did not work. It may be because the front ports aren't capable of handling better speakers.

I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted and Vista reinstalled the driver for me. I have the latest firmware as far as I can tell.

Could there be something wrong with the port/jack in the back? Is it something I can replace on my own?

My Gallery

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

It is possible that the 3.5mm jack is bad. If it is a part of the motherboard then all three of the jacks are a complete assembly. The whole 3 jack assembly will have to be replaced. If you are good at using a soldering iron then it is possible to replace the bad part. If you can't find the jack assembly, I have some that I could send one to you.
              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Kabuchan
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Apr 2006

@ doctorhardware - Thank you for the offer, but I wouldn't be able to install it myself. I will have to take it in to fix it.

My Gallery

Comment

Working...