X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Vista network printer issues - wordpad

Wordpad and other .rtf editors were hanging for 5 to 10 seconds in Vista but the same editors behaved perfectly in XP. Turns out there's an issue in Vista with some .rtf capable editors if the default printer is a network printer.

On my setup I had the Printer connected to the old XP machine since Vista drivers were less than optimal when I bought the Vista PC. I found they updated the Vista drivers for my printer(Epson C88+ inkjet) so I connected the printer to the new Vista PC, updated the driver, and shared it on the Lan.

The Vista machine is actually dual boot Vista XP so by installing the XP network driver on the XP client(the old PC) and using the same network share names on both XP and Vista on the new PC, I can see ink levels on all OSs, wordpad and others like AbiWord load normally, and stuff just all around works better.

If you have Vista and wordpad freezes for 10 seconds when loading for no apparent reason, check if your default printer is a network printer, and if so, hang it from the Vista machine instead if possible.
Working...