Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonysmith1929
    • Nov 2005

Xp

Has XP always needed to be validated after loading or is this a new Microsoft idea ??????
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

the genuine advantage validation started way over a year ago

before that there was activation on a new install

Comment

• Junkie_ball
      • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
      the genuine advantage validation started way over a year ago

before that there was activation on a new install

Genuine advantage validation is used to ensure your copy is legal and allows you to download the security updates from the microsoft website.
      SYSTEM:

Pentioum Duo 6400, 8 GB Ram, 500Gb Hardrive, 32x DVD Rom, 16 x TCorp Duel Layer Burner, Geforce 7900GTX.

Bow to the gods of Digital-Digest

http://www.wix.com/martinhopkins/designandphotography

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

It takes only a few seconds, but M$ make you periodically download its "Genuine Advantage Tool", which tranlsates to "Prove to M$ that your copy of Windows is Genuine Before We Zillionaires Give You The Updates Tool".

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• tonysmith1929
          • Nov 2005

XP validation.

Thanks to all. I think I asked that question a bit wrong.
          Am aware of original 'validation' by numbers on disc cover. What I meant was, when did the genuine advantage lark start, as I have loaded a fairly old original full XP,(not a restore or update) and wondered if it would stop in 28 days time and tell me to ask Mr Gates for permission to use my own copy.....I gather it wont. Now all I want is XP2 to add, but think there is a link here for non microsoft SP2.. Thanks

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

You are confused, all standard versions of windows xp have had the 28 day activation from the beginning, many computers are preactivated by the manufacturers or builders

If you haven't used the internet or phone activation you will be locked out.

Comment

• tonysmith1929
              • Nov 2005

XP validation.

Oh dear......I honestly dont know if this copy has been used/validated/whatever before......what happens if I try and it has ??????? Thanks Chewey

Comment

• Junkie_ball
                • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by tonysmith1929
                Oh dear......I honestly dont know if this copy has been used/validated/whatever before......what happens if I try and it has ??????? Thanks Chewey
                As long as you own the software legally you can phone through for an activation code. i haven't done this for XP but i have with Office after upgrading my machine. I have used the activation about 3-4 times after upgrading. As long as you only have the software on one machine (unless you have purchased a number of licenses) and you own the license going through the activation process won't be a problem.
                SYSTEM:

Pentioum Duo 6400, 8 GB Ram, 500Gb Hardrive, 32x DVD Rom, 16 x TCorp Duel Layer Burner, Geforce 7900GTX.

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

I had a friend back when they were more strict, he put xp on an older 98 machine and activated, it was a bust, not enough video memory or hard drive space, he removed it and went back to w 98

Next he loaded the same version on a new machine he built, it crashed thru operator error in a couple of weeks, he tried a better load of the drivers and software, he failed online activation the third time but called and they activated for him, they did grill him on it being the third time in a month he was trying to use the same number

I reloaded 2 old dell's last month with my disks and their numbers, activation and validation went thru the internet automatically

This is getting to be a burdensome load for microsoft, somewhere down the road I expect a hot patch
                  that gives up the activation validation ghost, they won't do it until they release another well received OS, their last fiasco with Vista has taught them a lesson
                  Last edited by Chewy; 16 Jun 2008, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Junkie_ball
                    • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
                    I had a friend back when they were more strict, he put xp on an older 98 machine and activated, it was a bust, not enough video memory or hard drive space, he removed it and went back to w 98

Next he loaded the same version on a new machine he built, it crashed thru operator error in a couple of weeks, he tried a better load of the drivers and software, he failed online activation the third time but called and they activated for him, they did grill him on it being the third time in a month he was trying to use the same number

I reloaded 2 old dell's last month with my disks and their numbers, activation and validation went thru the internet automatically

This is getting to be a burdensome load for microsoft, somewhere down the road I expect a hot patch
                    that gives up the activation validation ghost, they won't do it until they release another well received OS, their last fiasco with Vista has taught them a lesson
                    Never tried activation of the same license 3 times in a month but guess that would look quite suspicious. Think when i re-used my license i had roughly 6 months between the activation processes. Phoned through used the automated process every time without a hitch.
                    SYSTEM:

Comment

• Kabuchan
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Apr 2006

I have a friend reinstalls either XP or Vista all the time. He dual boots one of his PCs and because he's a gamer he's constantly upgrading others and reinstalling his OS. How does he get around M$'s iron fist? I know he has all the updates burned to a disk. Could that be how he does it?
                      That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

there 2 versions of xp that do not have to be activated, corporate(large companies buy a lot of liscenses and behind a server firewall, they recieve updates thru the server) and the student edition(computer tech schools buy a liscense for students/they install reinstall as a matter of their studies)

and then there are those illegally cracking the OS in a continual cat and mouse game with Microsoft

Many of the antimalware forums require you to download and pass a validation test

Comment

• tonysmith1929
                          • Nov 2005

XP validation.

Thanks to all, will let you know how I get on(when I find the website to try my luck) Cheers

Comment

• tonysmith1929
                            • Nov 2005

XP validation.

Thanks to all who offered ideas. I have now made sure by getting an OEM legal copy, now validated (easy,about 30 seconds). However, I noted the 'dubious 'copy I had loaded first did not have any 'balloons' which came up to tell you to validate, that ran for a week OK,so am keeping it for future use. Cheers to all....

Comment

Working...