X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Weird IE7 Problem

For some reason, I can't use any Javascript related functions in IE7 anymore, and the find function (Ctrl-F) doesn't work anymore (the "Previous", "Next" buttons are greyed out). For example, I don't get the "New Posts" drop down menu thing on this forum to work, can't see the ads and can't use Google Maps.

I recently installed and uninstalled McAfee Security Center (I was testing something), so I think it's related to that.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

I haven't messed with IE7 much but I know it has a "protected mode" or something like that. Maybe it got activated. One thing you can try is download Maxthon or another browser that uses the IE ActiveX Control as the engine, and see if it works normally. Might help you zero in on the cause.. or you might like Maxthon better(assuming it works ok.)

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

I was wondering if you used the uninstaller for McAfee?

Have you flushed out all the old java and loaded the developers download after a reboot?

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by Chewy
        I was wondering if you used the uninstaller for McAfee?

Have you flushed out all the old java and loaded the developers download after a reboot?
        The uninstaller that comes with McAfee or some other utility that cleans it up properly?

Not sure what you mean by flusing out the old Java.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

I fixed the problem. Ran the McAfee uninstaller found on this page:

This wikiHow teaches you how to remove the McAfee Total Protection app from your Windows or Mac computer. Open Start . Click the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of the screen.

Why do these companies make software that's so hard to uninstall? All of them have built in uninstallers, but none actually do the job properly and you have to get an additional utility made by them to clean up the install, as if the whole thing was some kind of hard to get rid of spyware or something.

Comment

• Wombler
            Affable Wanderer
            • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by admin
            I fixed the problem. Ran the McAfee uninstaller found on this page:

This wikiHow teaches you how to remove the McAfee Total Protection app from your Windows or Mac computer. Open Start . Click the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of the screen.

Why do these companies make software that's so hard to uninstall? All of them have built in uninstallers, but none actually do the job properly and you have to get an additional utility made by them to clean up the install, as if the whole thing was some kind of hard to get rid of spyware or something.
            Yeah the McAfee software's a pain.

My laptop came with trial versions of their software preinstalled and one of the first things I wanted to do was remove it.

Each program in the suite had to be removed separately with reboots in between.

Took me five reboots to get rid of it all and each time (apart from the last one obviously) you were forced to go through each of the 'would you like to register' or 'start your free demo period' type prompts.

What a pain. AARRGHH!!!

In my mind it's bad programming that all of this can't be removed either in one go or more conveniently and it wouldn't lead me to have any great faith in anything McAfee wise.

Wombler

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

So you can pay someone to do it for you.
              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Wombler
                Affable Wanderer
                • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
                So you can pay someone to do it for you.
                LOL.

We're more than capable of doing it ourselves.

The point is we shouldn't have to.

Wombler

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

Wombler,

I agree with that but at certain retailers it is a very hard sell. The cost of doing this stuff is outrageous. I use to work for one of them. I was at one of the store lately, helping a friend purchase a new laptop. All I heard was you have to have this done by us, we know what we are doing. The price was like $150 not including any software. This is just to remove all the crap that the manufactures put on the computers like aohell. After listening to the hard sell BS, I finally informed the salesperson that I use to work at a different location, and I would be doing the customization on the computer. The salesperson finally just walked my friend up to the cashier. This service is the retailer meal ticket, it is pure profit. The charge for making the retsore/recovery disks is I beleive it was like $50.00.
                  Last edited by doctorhardware; 11 Aug 2008, 03:57 AM.

Comment

• Wombler
                    Affable Wanderer
                    • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
                    The price was like $150 not including any software. This is just to remove all the crap that the manufactures put on the computers like aohell.
                    Wow!!

I find that incredible that they can get away with charging so much for such a basic job.

They wouldn't get away with that here in the UK.

Wombler

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

For an OS reinstall it will cost you a whopping $130. That is even more basic of a job to do on a computer.

Comment

• soup
                        Just Trying To Help
                        • Nov 2005

Most might know this, but for those that don't. When you update Java, it does not get rid of the older versions, you have to go into Start / Control Panel / Add\Remove, to get rid of them yourself. On some machines lately I have seen up to 8 older versions still installed & that adds up to a lot of wasted space.

Comment

• DigitalUser
                          • Aug 2008

This is a great Forum. I've learned a lot from reading the replys. I have had many of the same problems removing old McAfee and Norton products. Hey, they are the two biggest manufactuers of viruses themselves and they don't want you to remove them once there are installed. Reading these forums have really lead to links to software that does remove them, Thanks, DigitalUser...

Comment

Working...