• Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

@ipaulo

Very Good Post

Comment

• ipaulo
      • Apr 2006

Thanks Chewy. Just about everything I learned on this topic I learned from here, so I'm just passing it along.

Sorry for the link for the printer it seem to always take you to two pages before the actual printer. You'll have to click on the all in ones then page 2, and its the very last one. The Epson Stylus Photo RX680.

Comment

• ed klein
        Banned
        • Mar 2004

@ipaulo

Does the blank media disk with the clear acrylic sealer on it turn brown after 1 to 2 years of storage?
        Especially if air gets between the sealer and the disk?

I would think if the clear acrylic sealer spray is not sprayed evenly over the disk it could become unbalanced while spinning.

Similar to if you put on a blank white stickey label that is not balanced or evenly put on.

JUST LIKE BALANCING A TIRE
        Last edited by ed klein; 15 Sep 2008, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• ipaulo
          • Apr 2006

ed, I've only been printing to disk for about 2 1/2 years. I looked at some of the older ones, they still look and play great. Beware though, never let any moisture come in contact with the sprayed surface. It will ruin the finish as well as the picture.

I do take care to spray them evenly as possible. With that said I don't think that if one was unevenly sprayed, that it would effect the playback as much as putting on a label. With a label there too much that could go wrong. It has to be applied perfectly centered. If that label ever became loose it would destroy your player.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

there is a trick to using a sharpie

put the cap back on

Comment

• ed klein
              Banned
              • Mar 2004

I guess I am the type that has to have a picture on the front, back, and on the disk itself of the movie and title, stored in plastic full size CD cases.

BUT, I do use a sharpie on all the back up disks of the hard drives, back-up of all executable software programs, probably because they get changed out every month.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by blutach
                Consider a sharpie marker - cheap, effective and is never a hassle.

Regards
                I second that. I usually wait until I get one of those $10 OfficeMax
                cards in the mail. I use it for a 4 pack of retractable Sharpie Markers.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

I buy the multiple color sharpie package. The extra fine point. I have used them for a long time.
                  Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Wombler
                    Affable Wanderer
                    • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by ed klein
                    @ipaulo

Does the blank media disk with the clear acrylic sealer on it turn brown after 1 to 2 years of storage?
                    Especially if air gets between the sealer and the disk?

I would think if the clear acrylic sealer spray is not sprayed evenly over the disk it could become unbalanced while spinning.

Similar to if you put on a blank white stickey label that is not balanced or evenly put on.

JUST LIKE BALANCING A TIRE
                    There's less potential for that effect though with a lacquer coating compared to a label.

Uneven distribution of the lacquer has a far lesser effect than an off centre label as with an off centre label all the offset weight is very uniformly directed towards one side of the disc.

The inconsistancies in a lacquer coating are never as uniformly or perfectly offset and would tend to cancel out to some degree.

The lacquer always remains tightly fixed to the disc surface unlike a label.

And finally the lacquer coating is way way lighter than a label.

In theory the uneven distribution of the ink on the printed image could also cause such effects but the practical reality is that these differentials are so minimal as to have no significant effect.

Wombler

Comment

• ed klein
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2004

Rumor-----------

The RIAA and Sony are NOW backing sharpie's.

One new (not used) will be coming with the purchase of any new Sony DVD burner.
                      Sony is going to include a return card if you don't like the color of the sharpie you can exchange it for another color.

But, this must be approved by the RIAA first.

Last edited by ed klein; 15 Sep 2008, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

Sony actually still making burners? Thought they were a cross product w/some other outfit.

Might be just the nec-optiarc line. Not sure on this one but it was posted in the forum somewhere. I seriously doubt they'll be lining up to buy Sony burners just for a free sharpie, unless your kidding w/us Ed. Lol...
                        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

@dr ml422

Stockpile of blank media is very low, the only white labels left according to Imgburn are CMC MAG-M01-00 burn rate at 16X and they are DVD+R (DVD-5)
                          Ed can you clarify this a lil more. I went to Imgburn and only saw screen shots made w/these discs. Search didn't take to any other post/regarding this. Thnx.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

New Sharpie to have CPU and WiFi

Rumor-----------

The RIAA and Sony are NOW backing sharpie's.

One new (not used) will be coming with the purchase of any new Sony DVD burner.
                            Sony is going to include a return card if you don't like the color of the sharpie you can exchange it for another color.

But, this must be approved by the RIAA first.

Hmmm I heard there's a new Sharpie in development that has
                            a CPU and WiFi connection. It analyzes your handwriting and
                            if you use phrases found on the online copyrighted database,
                            a royalty is deducted from your bank account and transfered
                            to the copyright holder.

Comment

• ed klein
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2004

@dr ml422

I was trying to say that CMC MAG-M01-00 is the only white label disks that I have left in my personal stock pile of blank DVD disks.

I am sure there are many other brands of blank disks that make white labels attached to the disk.

I used Imgburn to identify that the only white blank label that I have left in my personal stockpile is a CMC MAG-M01-00 which is a DVD-5

Comment

• dr_ml422
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • May 2007

I got you now Ed. Knew there was something I missed there.

Comment

Working...