• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Sata burners vs. IDE

Ok so now we're a lil deeper w/sata and most mobos just come w/1 ide port. I noticed that my samsung sata in my sig reads dvds way faster than my ide burners. Burning is different story. Just researched google and mixed posts on this. For the most part though the consensus was less space taken up in case and maybe transfer rate faster but that was debatable. 1 thing though that made sense was that w/ide you usually have 1 cable w/master/slave and sata are independent. Do any of you guys see a definite difference from the 2? I did as far as reading so I went and pulled the trigger on this>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L1A-_-27151171 Can't go wrong w/price and free shipping.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

IMHO, the sata drives are better in both reading and writing. Some of the newer motherboards have 4 sata ports. If you need more IDE ports you can get a ide card and install the card in the computer. But you do run the risk that it may slow down the attached drives to the card.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Thnx doc. I have 6 sata ports and just my 2 hds and my sata samsung hooked up. I noticed a considerable difference in read speed. Burn quality maybe better. I don't bother w/the graphs. My pioneer will stay steady at the set burn speed. the pata samsung more or less. the sata samsung has a slow start and might finish at the set speed. I just bump the speed like Blu suggested for that 1. I know 22x is kinda overkill as I haven't seen anything over 16x in media but at that price wth. Free up more space in my build also.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Just posting back results. Looks like my mobo prefers sata connections. My bios shows up now and it just doesn't go to my log-in window. Maybe it takes a lil more time to go through the ide and sata connections when both are hooked up. Who knows. Bottom line I have 2 good sata burners now and 2 good ide pata. Guess sooner or later ide will be out totally. I mean w/newer mobos just having 1 connection and having to hook up master n slave then why not just cut the umbilical chord. In time like everything else.

I'm kinda like a dinosaur anyway. Just gave away my dual cassette cd player by Aiwa to a friend. According to the guy at the electronic shop Aiwa don't make anything anymore or doesn't exist. Didn't bother w/google on this. Mood point. Next is my vcr, but I just transferred a old movie onto dvd that was discontinued, so it might come in handy. "THE CAR". oLDIE BUT GOODIE.

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Is that the Samsung S223F you bought?

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Originally Posted by cynthia
            Is that the Samsung S223F you bought?

Hi Cynthia. Yes it was. At that price w/free shipping it was a no brainer. Great so far. In the hunt for a router now to hook up my dell and blow up the 2 ides I have.

Comment

• cynthia
              Super Moderatress
              • Jan 2004

Hi!

I have the same one. There was a new firmware version released some days ago. Hopefully it will improve some media codes.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Originally Posted by cynthia
                Hi!

I have the same one. There was a new firmware version released some days ago. Hopefully it will improve some media codes.
                Thnx for letting me know. I must of just missed it. i checked last week some time an upgraded the other sammy sata in my sig to sb04. This one had sb00 I think. I'll go to samsung's site and download the new 1.

Comment

• gonwk
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

I am still on my LOVEABLE BENQ's (1640 & 1655) ... hope that they will never die.

I don't think I will ever be Happy with anything else.

Q1: What DVD Burner(s) come close to the BenQs?

Q2: Also any Favorites in Laptop DVD Burners? I suppose my Gateway uses SATA DVD Burner?

Thanks,

G!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

Originally Posted by gonwk
                    Hi folks,

I am still on my LOVEABLE BENQ's (1640 & 1655) ... hope that they will never die.

I don't think I will ever be Happy with anything else.

Q1: What DVD Burner(s) come close to the BenQs?

Q2: Also any Favorites in Laptop DVD Burners? I suppose my Gateway uses SATA DVD Burner?

Thanks,

G!
                    Some other company took over benqs. don't know which 1. 4got. probably not as good as the real mCcoy.

Burnnn them to the ground. Sata's in. It's not going away like Blu-ray might. Sammy's are doing pretty good lately. now I have 2 sata sammys. Lg's are good too. The pioneers also. They burn steady. Sammy's burn great just slow in lead in but pioneer n lg's also except 4 dvd+rs. Those babies load up quick n start burning quick. Just learned about them I'm slow but I get there.

As far as laptops it's not recommended to do crazy burning like we do on the pcs. Suggestion from Chewy. Treat it as something special...

Remember also new os coming out soon by ms. so enjoy xp n God Bless You if ur messing w/Vista.

If ur laptop is a mac your riding high n mighty...

Comment

Working...