Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snagel
    • Apr 2006

Trying to install version 10 Windows Media player on XP Pro

I recently had to do a clean install of XP Professional on my computer at home. The XP Professional version that I installed came with Media Player 9 installed. When I did the upgrades for the computer after installing it went to Media Player 11. Last night I tried to uninstall version 11 and rolled it back to version 9.0 . I then tried to install Media Player version 10. I got a pop up message saying that this version was incompatible with my version of windows. I don't get it. It said for more information go to a certain website and there I found version 10 at the update center or something like that. It did say that this version 10 was for XP.
    I tried to install that version on my computer and still got the same message that it was incompatible.
    I previously had XP Home and when that was installed it came with Media Player 10 and was upgraded to version 11.
    Can anybody explain why version 10 cannot be installed on XP Professional. Both version 9 and version 11 can be although I have not run either one.... I have gotten to the EULA agreement and haven't run either one of them yet.
    I thought before I run one I would put version 10.0 on then 11.0 so I would have the option to roll back to 10.0 if I really wanted to.
    Your help would be appreciated
    snagel
    Last edited by snagel; 4 Oct 2008, 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling and more information
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

I always use the MP10 standalone installer on home or pro

Never touch MP11 any more, once was enough

never let microsoft do an autoupdate

Comment

• snagel
      • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
      I always use the MP10 standalone installer on home or pro

Never touch MP11 any more, once was enough

never let microsoft do an autoupdate

Chewy, where do I find the standalone installer?

I don't quite understand why on my XP Home I was able to start at version 10 and then increase to version 11 and why I can even update to version 10 under XP Pro from version 9.0. Don't understand why version 10.0 is incompatible with my version of Windows.
      Last edited by blutach; 4 Oct 2008, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Don't understand why version 10.0 is incompatible with my version of Windows.
        Your rollback to 9 from 11 was not real,
        11 makes system changes that cannot be reversed

this has nothing to do with versions of XP

I had to do a clean install to remove 11

A good load of xp and supplements like sp's etc is an intricate process best done in the right order
        Last edited by Chewy; 4 Oct 2008, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• snagel
          • Apr 2006

looks like I am probably stuck with version 11.0 then huh?

I was able to rollback to version 9.0 after it updated to 11.0. Just seems weird that I'd be stuck between the two only being able to use the two choices.
          Last edited by snagel; 4 Oct 2008, 02:13 AM. Reason: more information

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

just a thought ... is it some side effect of sp3?
            Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• snagel
              • Apr 2006

re: atfist

Originally Posted by atifsh
              just a thought ... is it some side effect of sp3?
              It very well might be. Come to think of it I do remember reading somewhere here at DVF that before you could roll back in XP home because I took the sp3 first that I had to uninstall sp3 first then roll back to 10. and then put 11. on and then add sp3.

Never got to that point before a complete clean install was necessary because I lost 26Gig somewhere and could not find where I lost it.
              Last edited by snagel; 4 Oct 2008, 08:01 AM. Reason: re: atfish

Comment

• atifsh
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2003

temp folders, pagefil, hybernation file these 4 can makeup tobe real big.

also for future... use search feature to find big files only.. say all files including hidden with more then 1 gb file size...
                Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...