X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Corrupt graphics

My old computer is now showing corrupt graphics, lots of weird digital noise from when the thing boots up. This is the same computer that had the RAM problem, but was solved by increasing the voltage slightly.

The graphics card causing this problem is the obvious thought, but perhaps the power supply could be to blame too? If changing video cards (AGP, obviously), any recommendations?
    Last edited by admin; 8 Dec 2008, 12:04 AM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

If you can, measure the 12v and the 5v line and make sure that the voltages are in spec. Also measure both lines for AC ripple, set you multi-meter to the lowest AC measurement and there should be no AC riding on the DC line. Having AC ripple on the DC line can cause a lot of weird problems.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Finally got around to doing some tests, and it seems it was the graphics card that was faulty. Replaced it with a new Radeon HD 2400 Pro (AGP), and all works fine now, and it can even play Blu-ray/HD DVD movies with GPU acceleration and around 60% CPU usage (on a P4 3.2 GHz with 1 GB of RAM).

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

That is a nice a video card, glad you finally got it fixed.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

I was taking this opportunity not only to fix the computer, but also to upgrade it to play Blu-ray, so I had to get an ATI Radeon HD card with UVD accelerated decoding, but one that would also work with my PSU (and also one that haven't been discontinued already, or cost too much). The card was a Sapphire one, btw.

The problem now is that the PC is too noisy for home theater usage (always has been), so I might have to look into some quieter fans. It's a shame I wasn't able to find a passively cooled Radeon HD, these are as rare as hen's teeth in AGP flavours it appears.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

Yes they are very hard to find. I have Geforce Nvidia 7300 that is passively cooled. One thing I did was to the use silver cool heat sink compound. It has reduced the GPU temperature by like some 20 degrees. It was worth the effort to take the heat sink apart. Which was a real PIA.
            Last edited by doctorhardware; 27 Mar 2009, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

whats ur gpu temp now?
              i have 7600 gs myself that runs pretty hot ..idles at 60
              Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

42 C idle, don't know how much at load, probably low 50's.

The 2400 Pro is a bit slow for gaming though, not as good as the 2600 Pro/XT or your 7600 GS. But I'm very unlikely to use that machine for games anymore.

I connected the PC to my TV through HDMI today, output at 1920x1080 and played some HD DVD movies (don't have a Blu-ray drive for it yet, only an external HD DVD one that I can connect to it) in PowerDVD 8 (with HD DVD patch). CPU usage (in XP) was around 40%, and almost never above 50, for both VC-1 and AVC encoded movies. This was with SPDIF output to my receiver, so CPU usage most likely a bit higher with internal decoding. Without GPU acceleration, the P4 3.2 CPU struggled along at 100% and only managed about 10 FPS in playback.

This guide shows that you can get away with Blu-ray playback on an old AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with the right GPU:

Comment

Working...