• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Recommend a Very Good Scanner?

I am currently using a piece o' junk Microtek Scanmaker 5900; In addition to being slow, the software routinely crashes, & the pics are not all that great either. Seems to produce artifacts that aren't visible in the original, along with not a very sharp, crisp pic, like the original.

I need one that will scan in pics as well as negatives. Anyone have one that is an exceptionally good one? I want it all; Fast, high quality, negative capable, etc.

I am in the process of scanning family photos, and I am surely not impressed with the quality I am getting. I want these to be a high enough resolution that I can print them out & have them be high quality prints as well.

All recommendations welcome!
    Thanks!
  • Abuilder
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Oct 2006

Katz
    I can tell you a couple makes to steer clear of. One of them you all ready know about and the other is an Epson. Cheap plastic junk with very buggy power supplies and logic boards in them.
    I have had the most luck with HP flatbeds with the film/slide readers. I’d stay away from the all-in-one models and get the scanner only versions though.
    They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Hi Katz,

I have this Scanner and it kicks a** and it is Cheap ... and it does not take much space ... but it does not feed ... you have to feed it sheet by sheet manually ... so if you are doing a document (300 pages) ... it can be a pain in the you know where ...

CanonScan LiDE 70.

EDIT:
      Katz I found this Link by accident I think you might want to look at it ... give you some ideas

I have to run now ... I am running late for an appointment!

G!
      Last edited by gonwk; 16 Jan 2009, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

I have a Umax and it has always performed perfectly, and the included software is good. The scanner also has a separate power supply, it functions some what like a photo copy machine. It has a I guess you would call it a lid that you open and place the paper or photo on the glass, and then close it. Some of the software that it come with is a photocopy program.
        Last edited by doctorhardware; 16 Jan 2009, 03:27 PM.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• PurpleDemon
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Mar 2006

Believe it or not my HP PSC 1410v I Bought at Wal-mart is still going strong.

I got it 3 years and about 3000 scans ago.

I don't like the 5ml ink cartridges but I do mostly scanning anyhow.

My brother just bought this one last month.

He got at Sam's club for $59.88

Good Luck on your quest.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

The all in one printers they are nice, but I have had several go belly up. I now buy the scanner and printer as seprates. The last one I took the HP printer and pulled the CPU out. It had a blown fuse, I replaced the fuse and the pc board back in and powered up the printer, and it started to smoke. I bought a lexmak wireless printer for $59.99. I like the printer and the wife likes it also. No more fighting with the computer that has ME on it that the OS is blowing up, has boot problems.
            Last edited by doctorhardware; 16 Jan 2009, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

i have HP's 3670 that scans negs aswell, its kinda slow these days but works dam fine. my new 3in1 scans very fast, but dont do negs.
              Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I have y research cut out for me. Problem is, with online reviews, you seem to get a mixed bag for every item. I do want something that will do a top-notch job, as well as scan those negatives in well.

I have read good things about HP & Canon, so I will take a look at those. I didn't mention, but I do prefer a flatbed scanner.

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

quality wise the multi functional devices may not be worth scanning your precious film negatives

a dedicated film scanner like nikon's coolscan or a konica minolta dimage are a league of their own but not what you drive at i guess

Comment

• doctorhardware
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2006

The Umax is a flat bed scanner.

Comment

• aaronangelle
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2011

i recommended you to hp
                      It is v.v best

Comment

Working...