X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Weird Video Problem

OK, so I'm getting this strange problem when I watch videos.

There's some sort of a "line" going from the top left to bottom right, and it flickers during videos. The thing is, it depends on the program... some programs have it and others don't. Also, some DVDs/videos have it and others don't.

I'm not sure if it's just one of those things universal with LCD monitors due to the refresh rate clashing with the video's framerate, or if my video card is screwed up.

To show the problem, I videotaped it and put it on YouTube:
    Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

And hmm. YouTube compressed the thing so much it's barely even visible. If you look closely enough right at the beginning, you might be able to see it. I can upload the original 100MB mpeg if that would help...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

I could not see it at all. Is there a way that you can post a still pic that would show the line. I watched the video 6x and did not see the line.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Hmm. Darn that video compression!

I'll see if I can take a screenshot from the original in VLC.

--EDIT--

OK, here:

Now, it's not an actual line... it's basically where two different images meet, it looks like a line. I know it's hard to see... the camera doesn't really capture it well. But it should be visible enough where the arrow's pointing. (And it's always in that same spot)
      Last edited by drfsupercenter; 26 Jan 2009, 03:51 PM.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

Yes I do see it now. On the computer that I built for the wife, I never had a problem like that. I think your video card may be the problem. Is there any way that you can try another computer. May be you can narrow down the problem. I even stopped the video to see if I could see it, but no luck, it did not show up.

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

upload video at skydrive

or use windows movie maker and ask it to make 50 mb file it will come out really good if its a min or 2 video. better then any divx compression iv tried.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

LOL, I used XviD at quantizer 2... the screenshot I took was from that AVI. 60MB total.

I'm good at making videos look good on YouTube (most of the stuff I've uploaded is near-DVD quality)... that one just doesn't show up for some reason.

You mean try that video on other computers? Or what?
            It happens with all sorts of videos... mainly NTSC source that isn't interlaced. I was watching a PAL DVD yesterday and it didn't have that problem.
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
              LOL,

I'm good at making videos look good on YouTube (most of the stuff I've uploaded is near-DVD quality)... that one just doesn't show up for some reason..
              that was'nt a joke i know u know this stuff.. for one skydrive is free and u can upload file as it is so a 100 mb file will be same as u have on ur pc, not like utube.

second no matter what i do moviemaker wmv file of small size say 10 mb or less always comes better then of divx. if i go above that things turn around .

Comment

• ipaulo
                • Apr 2006

I suspect It's your video card too. Make sure the fan is spinning on the card. Do what doc says and try it on another pc or if you have an old card try that. See if you can borrow one from a friend. Also try another monitor cable. Good luck

Comment

• atifsh
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2003

with that i say if ur mobo has builtin graphic, just remove ur card and try video with builtin, no need to try other pc's as u said all video's doing it.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

My video card doesn't have a fan. It's a nVidia Ge-Force MX-4000, if I have the model right. My computer doesn't have an AGP slot (Stupid Dell idiots!) and it was one of the best ones I could find that uses plain old PCI.
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

If you need a video card that is pci I will take a look around and see what I have. It may take a while to locate one. I have too many boxes to look through. Let me know if you need it.
                      Last edited by doctorhardware; 27 Jan 2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

LOL, I HAVE a video card that's PCI, but I'm not sure how good it is.

It's like... 64MB or something. I just needed one as the integrated one wasn't enough to play some PC games, so I bought a basic one that would run them. I'm not into HTPCs or anything so it doesn't have to be very fancy.
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

Could be vertical sync tearing, although these "lines" are usually horizontal, not diagonal. And I only get it through VGA connections, not DVI -> HDMI.

I even see it on my monitor, but only if I use certain non native resolutions.

Ideally, you should be connecting your PC to your TV at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz (assuming your TV is 1080p, or 1280x720@60Hz for 720p TVs), and using (DVI ->) HDMI.
                          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                            NOT an online superstore
                            • Oct 2005

That's not a TV... it's a 19" LCD monitor.

And it's connected using VGA, or whatever those "monitor cables" are called. And I believe it's on 60Hz, though I'll check.
                            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• atifsh
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2003

i still say if u have builtin graphics use that or use ur older pci card and check results.
                              other option is to get ubuntu live cd 700 mb and boot frm disk and then try the video.

Comment

Working...