X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thecite
    • Mar 2009

Firewire won't connect

Hello,
    I recently bought a 1tb Western Digital MyBook Home Edition external HDD, which supports connecting via USB, Firewire and eSATA.
    I've connected it to my computer via USB, and it worked flawlessly.
    However, when I try connecting it via Firewire, I generally get the connected hardware sound, then nothing happens for a while, and then it might eventually turn up in my computer as "Local Disk: H" or something, but when I try opening it, I get an I/O error. When I open up device manager, it's under disk drives as: "WD My Book IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device", with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. In properties it says something like "This device is unable to start" or something similar, and the location is "LUN 0".
    I'd really appreciate it if you could help me get it working with Firewire, as the only reason I bought it was for the Firewire connection.

I plugged it into my old G3 iMac and it connected within a few seconds. So obviously the problem is with Windows, any suggestions?

As I'm using WinXP SP3, someone suggested to me to swap some drivers, namely sbp2port.sys. So I pasted the SP2 version of it into system32\drivers and system32\dllcache and rebooted, tried again and nothing was different. So I then also tried swapping the SP2 disk.sys and partmgr.sys into the same folders, and disk.sys swapped, but partmgr.sys just kept on reverting itself back to the SP3 version. So I rebooted and once again nothing was different.

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks.
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

I would check WD website and see if there is updated device drivers for the drive. If not send an email to WD and let them know that you are having issues with the drive and the interface that will not work. Also let them know that it is win XP SP3. And that the port tested good on another computer. Give tech support as much information as you can. They might be able to help you out with your problem.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

I had a similar problem with sp2 and a firewire card in a friend's computer, we couldn't get it to capture video from his camcorder, at first it seemed sp2 had broken the firewire but later I found out that Microsoft just started enforcing the rigourous standards required for firewire which a lot of crappy chipsets did not implement.

We never had any problem with TexasInstruments(TI) firewire chipsets

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

I will have to remember that. Did not know that the firewire specs and now being enforced by Microsoft.

Comment

• thecite
          • Mar 2009

So that's it I guess.

So it seems that I'm just going to have to abandon my hopes of getting this external working on Firewire with this comp, and just use USB. What a shame. There's just one more thing I can try; that damn PartMgr.sys kept replacing itself with the sp3 version when I copied the sp2 version into system32\drivers ; does anyone know how to get around this?

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

Make the file read only and try making the file hidden, that might work.

Comment

Working...