• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Abuilder
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Oct 2006

Free Linux starter pack (pdf)

A 130 page guide to get the grips with Linux in hours instead of weeks.
    They tried to Assimilate me and failed!
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Abuilder
    A 130 page guide to get the grips with Linux in hours instead of weeks.
    http://www.tuxradar.com/linuxstarterpack
    This reminds me of dumb stuff I used to do like printing out the entire manual for bind on my Deskjet 500, 3-hole punching it, and putting in a 3 ring notebook. I remember one of the coolest things was a little program that ran a caching-only name server on your system. You could install it and forget about it instead of trying to set up all that stuff by hand.

You guys are spoiled!! No SCSI terminators to stick on, no jumpers.. just connect stuff and it works!!! heh heh

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Hi ABuilder,

I never messed around Linux ... so this would be a Handy read for me when I have extra time or bored!

THANKS!

G!

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

If you have broadband Mandriva(used to be called Mandrake when I used to run it) still has a one CD install. If it's anything like Mandrake 9.1 it sets you up and installs what's on the CD to fix up your drive, desktop all that, then lets you pick packages and it just downloads 'em right then over your broadband and installs 'em. Way more convenient than burning a bunch of discs. (I couldn't resist downloading it now.. remains to be seen if I ever put it on, but it's nice to have.)

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Mandriva is very easy to install and to understand. I like it. I even think there is a version that allows you to run it from a CD just to see what Linux is all about.

Comment

• Abuilder
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Oct 2006

Mandriva was the first distro I tried a couple years ago. The one thing I didn’t like about it was that the developers locked root access. You cannot log in as root no matter what.
            SU here, SU there, SU everywhere.
            I like Puppy Linux It runs only as root. LOL
            Mepis is a user friendly distro too.
            They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Abuilder
              Mandriva was the first distro I tried a couple years ago. The one thing I didn’t like about it was that the developers locked root access. You cannot log in as root no matter what.
              SU here, SU there, SU everywhere.
              I like Puppy Linux It runs only as root. LOL
              Mepis is a user friendly distro too.
              Heh. Yeah if I was going to be installing software or messing with anything I just opened a command console, did su and left it there for the session.

The only time I can remember the system getting totally hosed after 2.x kernels came along was right clicking the clock on the desktop to set the time. My monitor went out of sync and I had to power down pronto!! Never found what that was about but from then on I set the time using the command line!!

Comment

Working...