• Show
Clear All
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

Computer crashes and rebots with many programs and games

Hello,
    Its been a while but I have returned in hope of some help with my computer.
    My old pc has bit the dust and the new one doesnt seem to like many of my programs and games.

When trying to play an installed game or program the computer just shuts down and reboots, unable to play any of our pc games so far.

What would cause this and what can I do to fix this problem please.

Thanks,
    PA

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

when the test finishes pm me the link to that page

Comment

• photo_angel2004
      Queen of Digital Video
      Queen of Digital Video
      • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
      http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

when the test finishes pm me the link to that page
      Thanks Chewy but that test didnt run.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Welcome back

The reboots might be BSODs with the auto restart thing turned on, so turn it off and at least you'll be able to view the BSOD message, which should give you somewhat vague idea of what's causing the crashes:

In Windows XP and Windows Vista, you can stop Windows from automatically restarting when the dreaded Blue Screen of Death happens, giving you time to analyze or write down the error, so you can lat…
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• photo_angel2004
          Queen of Digital Video
          Queen of Digital Video
          • Jan 2004

@ admin,
          thanks for the welcome back.
          I went to the link you gave me and I have ticked the setting for the pc to stop rebooting instantly.

@chewy,
          I just got the test to run but before it finished the pc rebooted so now that I have changed the setting that admin pointed out I will try it again.

This one problem is just the begining of my computer issues that I am going through today. LOL but lets take it one problem at a time, and start with this one.

now some programs will work while some just crash out.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

let's eliminate malware

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
            • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
            • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
            • Click the Empty Selected button.
            • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
              If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
            • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
              If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
            • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
            Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.34) and save it to your desktop.
            alternate download link 1
            alternate download link 2
            If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
            • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
            • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
            • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
            • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
              • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
              • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
            • Then click Finish.
            MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
            • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
            • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
            • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
            On the Scanner tab:
            • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
            • Then click on the Scan button.
            • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
            • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
            • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
            • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
            Back at the main Scanner screen:
            • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
            • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
            • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
            • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
            • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
            Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Page 1 of 10 - How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs - posted in Security Mini-Guides: During the process of removing malware from your computer, there are times you may need to use specialized fix tools. This is especially true if you are receiving help from a member of the Malware Response Team (MRT). Certain embedded files that are part of these specialized fix tools may at times be detected by your anti-virus or anti-malware scanner as a RiskToo...

Comment

• photo_angel2004
              Queen of Digital Video
              Queen of Digital Video
              • Jan 2004

[QUOTE=admin;572810]Welcome back

The reboots might be BSODs with the auto restart thing turned on, so turn it off and at least you'll be able to view the BSOD message, which should give you somewhat vague idea of what's causing the crashes:

Alright now I have attempted to run that test that chewy gave me the link for and now the pc will not reboot right away. I get a blue screen with a ton of writing on it which mean nothing that I truely understand it talks about bios and drivers that I know nothing about. I have no way to screen shot that page as well.

What ever the problem is that prevents my programs and games to run is also preventing this test to finish as well.

What can I do now, LOL

Thanks

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                Queen of Digital Video
                Queen of Digital Video
                • Jan 2004

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
                Database version: 1749
                Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

3/9/2009 11:15:37 PM
                mbam-log-2009-03-09 (23-15-37).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
                Objects scanned: 59543
                Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
                Memory Modules Infected: 0
                Registry Keys Infected: 0
                Registry Values Infected: 0
                Registry Data Items Infected: 0
                Folders Infected: 0
                Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
                (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

Try the deep scan and see if it finds any thing. Odds are that there is nothing there but it is worth a try.
                  Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
                    Try the deep scan and see if it finds any thing. Odds are that there is nothing there but it is worth a try.
                    this is a new or new to me computer the Hard drive was wiped clean and windows was re-installed the only programs on this pc are what I put on today. I only have a few since I am not able to install much.

This computer has only been online today since I bought it.

this was a custom build from a collage kid at Marquette, his major was in computer stuff so I am guessing he knew what he was doing I thought this machine was running fine until I began to install programs.

This was the computer I bought when I moved that I had planned to net work with my computer and well today my computer blew out no power.
                    So I am trying to get this one going until I can find a way to all my old Hard drive onto this computer.

Here is a screen shot of the error blue screen I hope this helps somewhat.
                    I am wondering if something was configured wrong, also he had installed anti virus which was McAfee which I hate I thought that may have been the problem I attempted to un-instil it but still no luck.

Last edited by photo_angel2004; 10 Mar 2009, 05:11 PM. Reason: added screen shot

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

It looks like a driver problem (with the ATI card). Have you installed the latest ATI drivers for your OS?

If it's not a driver problem, then it could be a hardware compatibility problem. What I would do is to remove all non essential PCI/PCI-E cards from the system, and then see if the same problem happens. What other cards do you have in your system?
                      Last edited by admin; 10 Mar 2009, 06:36 PM.
                      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• doctorhardware
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Dec 2006

I was kinda of think that also. But I was not very sure if that was the issue with her computer. So I was staying in the background on this one.
                        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2003

few simple and easy tasks before going into deep solutions.

1: if ur mobo has builtin graphics, remove ur graphic card and see what happens.
                          2: check ur cpu temp, if its getting hot.
                          3: if u have PSU issues u get crashes and reboots aswell.
                          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

Carla,
                            How old a game did you install?

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                              Queen of Digital Video
                              Queen of Digital Video
                              • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by admin
                              It looks like a driver problem (with the ATI card). Have you installed the latest ATI drivers for your OS?

If it's not a driver problem, then it could be a hardware compatibility problem. What I would do is to remove all non essential PCI/PCI-E cards from the system, and then see if the same problem happens. What other cards do you have in your system?
                              How do I find out what driver I need, since I have moved I dont know where my OS discs are. Is there somthing I can download from the internet?

XP pro 2002 is what is installed on this machine.

I also can not seem to be able to run adobe photoshop 7.0 as I can not find my CS2 disc right now either.

@Chewy 1 game is Monopoly tycoon 2001 or 2002 and Collapse III I think that one is 2004? Not 100%.

there are a few other programs that will seem to install but not run just reboot which are programs I can not mention here anymore.

I have a lot more I need to run on this pc but I am not installing anything until I get this problem fixed first. Everest seems to run fine though so I can pull up any information that may be needed as far as what this machine is made of just let me know if there is anything you would need to know to be able to help me and thank you so much for you help.

Comment

Working...