X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

HD bang per buck?

Anyone have good sources on HD bang per buck info? Seems difficult to ferret out the specs(other than capacity) on most of these drives. I'm just curious.
  • copyless
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2006

Don't know where to find "bang per buck", but since most of them have really close latency, seek, transfer speeds, I usually make sure it has a 32Mb cache and not 16MB. I also try to stay away from any of the 10,000 rpm drives since a whole lot of them prematurely fail.

To get my "bang per buck" I buy when on sale, or rebate and with free shipping those two usually save around $30 or so, and I guess that increases the "per buck" value.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Thanks for the reply. One of the things that seem to be kept tucked away is specs like sustained transfer rate. Or at least they bury it pretty well. Is there a board with spec sheets for lots of manufacturers? Digging the stuff out one drive at a time seems like a lot of work.

Comment

• Wombler
        Affable Wanderer
        • Jul 2006

Computer Shopper has just done a huge labs test on hard drives but, as it's in the current magazine, it's not on the web yet.

The Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB drive not only won the bang for buck category but was also the best for performance.

Wombler

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

The Samsung SpinPoint range has been leading the line for some time now, on both price and performance. Would have got a pair for my new computer, but I didn't need 1TB (mirrored) and so saved money on some WD AAKS 640's, which is also quite fast.

This was the review/roundup I based my purchasing decision on (back in November last year):

Last edited by admin; 23 Mar 2009, 09:39 PM.
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Is this the one?

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Guess you guys are into big storage. I'm more curious about good performance on the cheap(if there is such a thing.) I can't even find out what HD is in my new PC since it gives no info other than 3 Gb/sec Sata II. No make no model no nuthin'. (Programs like SIW show nuthin' and HP site specs just say the same. It's like all of a sudden we have generic drive made by nobody in particular.)

Comment

• copyless
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2006

This is just a guess, but if your talking about the 750Gb drive, my guess is it is a Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000. I only guess this because I know HP uses a lot of Hitachi HDD's, and this is the only 750Gb drive that I know of made that is a Deskstar.

When I removed my two 320Gb drives, I replaced them with basically the same one Admin mentions above only instead of the AAKS I went with the AALS which is a 32MB cache instead of the 16MB cache. I wanted to go with two of the 750Gb Deskstar's but I could not find any at the time and no one could give me an estimate on the time they would have them available again.

Also if your machine has the HDD drive I mentioned it is an excellent HD. The specs on the 7K are, 7200 rpm, 4.17ms latency, 8.9ms seek, 1070Mbps internal, 300Mbps external, and 32Mb cache.
                Last edited by copyless; 24 Mar 2009, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

Thanks copyless and everyone who replied. I see what you mean about the Samsung now. First time I looked on Egg all I saw was the guy complaining about 40 MB/sec. Didn't see the comment posting the HDTune benchmarks. Looks like good bang per buck if I decide to rip the old PC open. I'll keep it in mind.

Comment

• Wombler
                    Affable Wanderer
                    • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
                    Looks like it but it's hard to tell as there's no label shown.

I'll check it out in the magazine for you when I get home.

Wombler
                    Last edited by Wombler; 24 Mar 2009, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

Take a look at this WD at Micro Center, it is a good price. http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0266876.
                      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Wombler
                        Affable Wanderer
                        • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
                        Yep, that's it.

HD103UJ is quoted in the magazine as Samsung's part number.

Wombler

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

@copyless if you're lookin' for another DeskStar I see it on BestBuy online as an "outlet item" but I think they want @$145 for the 1 TB model.

Comment

• copyless
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2006

I appreciate it, but since I just replaced the two of them, and doubled the size, I think I have some time now. Thanks.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                              Eclectician
                              • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Wombler
                              Yep, that's it.

HD103UJ is quoted in the magazine as Samsung's part number.

Wombler
                              Hmmmmmm the only thing I noticed kind of weird was one guy complaining that he accidentally turned off 48 bit addressing and there's no way(at least according to him) to reenable it!! Guess he messed with sumpthin' he shouldn't oughta' be messin' with.

Comment

Working...