X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

New cooler needed for old CPU

As described here, I recently replaced the graphics card in my old P4 3.2 system to Blu-ray, and it works very well. The only problem is that it's a bit noisy, because it's still using the stock Intel P4 HSF.

I'm trying to see if I can replace it with something a bit cooler, but I don't know which custom cooler will be compatible with the motherboard, which is a MSI 865PE Neo2 PFISR.

Any suggestions?
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

Get a thermaltake fan what they do is to run the fan back wards so it is much quieter than normal fans.
    Take a look at this one, http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1149&ID=1564 also look at this one http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1149&ID=1554
    Last edited by doctorhardware; 29 Mar 2009, 03:36 PM.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Thanks, I will look into these coolers. My P4 is a Northwood, BTW.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

Those are for the Intel P4 CPU's. I got that off of thermaltake's web site. The one noise figure was like 16 dba. Which is a dam good noise figure. Also with both you can order new fans if needed.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• ipaulo
          • Apr 2006

Have a look here at Frosty Tech. It list the top heatsinks and rates each one. Gives you info on how each one ranks on heat and noise. Also tell you what socket each will work on. I like the newer heatsinks that have the heat pipes built into the base. Good Luck

Comment

Working...