Windows 7 versions... options may change with final release...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

both 32 and 64, same will be for upcoming office suite in 2010 or late 2009
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

Well windows 7 build 7100 RC is now available to download.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

not much different from 7077 otherthen icon color is better now, they were bad grayish in 7077 specifically.

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

ok im reading everywhere that all 32bit of windows 7 supports 4 gb ram, but isnt 32bit only can use upto 3.25. even my system says that.

i know 32bit architecture only supports 3.25 or 3.3 in some cases, then why all these news coming from and no body is saying anything bout it.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

atifsh, that is my understanding also. That 32 bit OS will not supports any more than 3 gig. So when did MS change the spec on the memory.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Can use and what's there is 2 different things correct? I mean if you have more than the 3 GB's of ram on a 32 bit system it'll still work correct? It just won't use the extra ram?

What if someone's running 2 OS's on same system. 1 32 bit and 1 64 bit.Then xtra ram will kick in? Let me know as this is only reason I see them even saying this.

Then again they finally got it through their thick skulls that IE is useless. Heard you could disable it on 7 if you want to.
              SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by atifsh
                ok im reading everywhere that all 32bit of windows 7 supports 4 gb ram, but isnt 32bit only can use upto 3.25. even my system says that.

i know 32bit architecture only supports 3.25 or 3.3 in some cases, then why all these news coming from and no body is saying anything bout it.
                They would have to stop using flat 32 bit addresses and build 48 bit addresses using the segment descriptor table. That's been there since 386 but it's more complicated to program. Sort of like in old Dos days you have a 16 bit processor, and 16 bits is only 64KB but they used "segment registers" as offsets to create 20 bit addresses.. which gives you a 1 MB address space. The video started at 0xA0000 so that gave you the 640 KB Dos limit.
                Then there was game playing with shifting memory around(expanded memory) and when 80286 came in then you could address a larger space but there wasn't hardware support for demand paging.

The short answer is, they could do it, but I don't believe it until I see it. If someone in Redmond wrote an OS that used the Intel 48 bit address space I think we would have heard about it before this.

Comment

• atifsh
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2003

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                  Can use and what's there is 2 different things correct? I mean if you have more than the 3 GB's of ram on a 32 bit system it'll still work correct? It just won't use the extra ram?

What if someone's running 2 OS's on same system. 1 32 bit and 1 64 bit.Then xtra ram will kick in? Let me know as this is only reason I see them even saying this.

Then again they finally got it through their thick skulls that IE is useless. Heard you could disable it on 7 if you want to.
                  true but is uppose same can be used in vista. and i have used this way i think, if someone can recheck. vista will run fine on 4 gb sticks but using 3 gb ram on 32bit. if u dual boot ull get full 4+ gb

i have checked 6 gb aswell with seven on 32bit and it was fine, so if u dualboot then i say 4 gb is no much a difference but 6 gb will make some difference.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

Hi atifsh. When you say dualboot you mean opening up both 32 bit and 64 bit simultaneously, or just having option of either using 32 bit or 64 bit on same system whenever?

I'm guessing that what you trying to figure out if why they saying 7 will support 4 GB ram when 32 bit usually will not even boot w/4 GB installed because not supported by 32 bit OS? Or you want to know if 32 bit will use the whole 4 GB for more efficiency/speed? If it won't even boot w/4 GB ram on board because not supported then how you put over 3 Gb ram to begin with? You have to have at least 4 GB ram onboard to use the 3.25 no?

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but just because they say support 4 doesn't mean it will use more than usual 3.25 ram. It'll just support it I guess. This doesn't make sense at all. They either misquoted what they trying to convey or I'm not understanding this. Mobo determines how much ram you could put in correct? OS only can use so much accordingly. So lets say you have mobo that can take 4 or 8 GB ram, OS will only in 32 bit use 3.25 like you said. It can't use anymore than what it's made to.

Now if mobo is 32 and 64 bit compatible then you can use xtra ram when 64 bit kicks in if you install either alone or as a dualboot. Let me know if I'm totally off here.

Only thing I can see is that a 32 bit os will not even read anything in mobo if 4 GB sticks in. Unless ram and sticks different?

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• atifsh
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2003

1: yes i mean dual booting as both 32bit and 64bit OS on same system

2: if u have 4 gb ram then the actuall available ram is 3.25gb with 32bit, with round 700 mb or less in use on fresh install. if u use 64bit OS ur full 4 gb ram will be utilised, but the memory usage will be round 1 gb to 1.4 gb.

thats why i said if u have 4 gb in total, u wont get any real benefitn with 4 gb ram. as the total free avaialbe ram will be same on both 32bit and 64bit.

3: so yes im as confused as u, if ur system supports 4 gb ram and i mean motherboard, then i think vista will run fine too with 4 gb ram but will be using same 3.25 gb.

so i really didnt get all this crap .. by saying 7 32bit supports 4 gb.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

That's odd in a way since you would need some memory to play with. How bloated is Vista anyway? Can't be less of a hog than XP home. I like the way 7 looks. I think I start playing now. You guys did all the work. I come in for the kill. Lol... I learned this way lil better in regards to computer OS's and certain betas of proggies. One thing though you know most of tweaks.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

That's odd in a way since you would need some memory to play with. How bloated is Vista anyway? Can't be less of a hog than XP home. I like the way 7 looks. I think I start playing now. You guys did all the work. I come in for the kill. Lol... I learned this way lil better in regards to computer OS's and certain betas of proggies. One thing though you know most of tweaks.
                          Yeah, too bad I wasn't better with GUIs and skins. I coulda' made a living writing a program called WhereItsAt every time MS comes out with a new OS.

Just have a front end with buttons that looks like Control Panel applets, with a few extra tweak locations, and when the user clicks the button, it goes to the setting that's been moved on the current OS to someplace nobody would ever think to look, and does the change.

Only thing is I'd need an inside source at Redmond to tell me where all the stuff has been moved this time around!
                          Last edited by MilesAhead; 5 May 2009, 02:38 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

Yeah, too bad I wasn't better with GUIs and skins. I coulda' made a living writing a program called WhereItsAt every time MS comes out with a new OS.

Just have a front end with buttons that looks like Control Panel applets, with a few extra tweak locations, and when the user clicks the button, it goes to the setting that's been moved on the current OS to someplace nobody would ever think to look, and does the change.

Only thing is I'd need an inside source at Redmond to tell me where all the stuff has been moved this time around!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2007

I've been hinting to you about creating some add-on that can also be used from the desktop w/oout being installed, but as a .exe like ATF Cleaner. That way you could hit the net and play in the PC w/out using up too much ram if any, and still work on your software or w/e?

All you need is a proggie setup w/all the settings of current poular builds of Windows and have it configurable to when you 1st get your hands on the new toys M$ puts out. I mean it takes some time for others as well to invent the tweaks, so why not make a proggie out of it. M$ had that Tweak UI so I'm pretty sure if even a lil later a tweak proggie will take.

Comment

Working...