Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonysmith1929
    • Nov 2005

This may sound stupid

Is it possible to transfer a virus from a PC to a digital camera via an SD card ??
    I recently got back a SD card from my son, unloaded all the pics and tried to use in camera. Camera acted just like an infected PC, slow,not at all or eratic......Am I dreaming or can this happen.
    Have since formatted the card in my PC, no change,and if I beleive Avast, no virus in my PC....
    suggestions welcome.....
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

I'd search for a manufacturer specific forum. If it really happens then it's probably not happening just to you. Before I'd mess around trying to clean stuff out I'd make sure there's no way you can erase any programming that's on the thing. A forum specific to the camera may be able to tell you about a fix.

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

I would also try another memory card may have been messed up and causing the camera to respond very slowly. Does the camera have internal memory, if it does is there a way to run a diagnostics on the memory.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

if camera has internal memory that may have been infected. in theory it can happen, i know N95 of mine got infected by memory card. had to format card and cleaned / deleted internal folders. and iv upgraded the software just tobe sure.
        Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• tonysmith1929
          • Nov 2005

Thanks for advicce. My original smaller SD cards still work fine in the camera, so will not mess with camera !! Will dump the offending card, they are very cheap now. By the way, whats your 9850 quad core like ? good, bad, indifferent ????

Comment

• tonysmith1929
            • Nov 2005

This may sound stupid

Thanks to you all. All seems well without offending SD card in camera, so will leave alone.

Comment

• Wombler
              Affable Wanderer
              • Jul 2006

It's possible for memory cards to become infected with PC viruses as they behave just like any other USB storage devices but a camera just uses it for storage and is not running any programs off it so I can't see it being a camera specific virus.

Could just be a faulty memory card but in any case you should format the card in the camera and not on a PC.

It's not uncommon for cameras to format memory cards in a slightly different format so that might just be your problem.

SD cards are cheap these days but it's worth trying this anyway.

Wombler

Comment

Working...