• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

New Laptop

I am getting my HP Pavilion dv7-Dex laptop on Monday. I paid for a different model but the guy ripped me off. The only think it does not have is the mini wireless AGN, it only has AG. I was reading on the net, it looks like a real pain in the ass to put in a different card. The bios will not recognize the card and may corrupt the computer's bios. Rendering the laptop dead.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

hmm im not so sure that will be that big a problem, if the laptop already available with AGN and AG as a option, just replacing the AGN card wont make a difference.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

That is what I was thinking also. I will try it after I get it set up. It will be here on Monday.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

Well I have the new laptop, it is taking for ever for the updates. There is over 67 updates. What a pain in the ass. To many updates. Now that I know the card layout I am going to order one, the only one that I could find is from China.
        Last edited by doctorhardware; 28 Jul 2009, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

Well after doing some digging, and if I want to use a different wireless mini card, I am going to have to hack the laptop Bios. HP has a whitelist, that is if the wireless card is different from the orginal card that was installed in the laptop, it will not boot. You could also run the possibility of corrupting the Bios. So I may not try installing another card.
          Last edited by doctorhardware; 28 Jul 2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

very strange, what if ur card dies , u cannot put any other old , used card in.
            Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

It has to be an Atheros AR5700 802.11 B/G WIFI adapter. I guess I would have to send it to HP to get it fixed, or just get a express card. The wifi setup was real easy, all I had to do was enter the router pin number and I was done.
              Last edited by doctorhardware; 28 Jul 2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• gonwk
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2005

Hi DocH,

If it ain't gonna cost you any money send backto HP ... but if cost some ... the NEW USB option of Wireless are really very effective and great reception ... and almost very "Low" profile. Less hastle ...

BTW, if you happen wanna buy a wireless Mouse or anything else wireless ... they usually come with the USB device ... so no need to pay extra and buy a separate one!

G!

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

The above post was just a hypothetical thinking out loud. But I did want a wireless card that did A/G/N and was dual band. The laptop has the express card slot and I found a dual band draft N wireless card. It is 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I think it was a linksys card. After much searching the net I found the card for $59.99 with free shipping. I have the Netgear DGND3300 which is their wireless router/dsl modem. The only thing I had to do to connect to the router was enter the pin code on the laptop, it was real easy.
                  Last edited by doctorhardware; 29 Jul 2009, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...