X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

My new laptop

So, I finally ordered my laptop for college... and due to the "dream model" being discontinued, I custom ordered one from a computer manufacturer, so it has all top-line parts.

Check this out:

• GT628 (barebones unit), Brushed metal Black
    • 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680*1050) NV GTS 160M 1GB DDR3 PM45+ ICH9-M
    • Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor P8600 2.4GHz 3MB CPU 1066FSB Penryn P8600 2.4G
    • Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC38500) Laptop Memory Model KHX8500S3ULK2/4GX
    • 500GB (SATA) 7200 rpm hard drive
    • Blu-Ray drive
    • MSI wireless b/g/N (802.11agn)
    • 2.0Mega pixel camera, Bluetooth
    • 6 Cell battery
    • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit w/ SP1, Windows 7 Upgrade included.

Do the specs look good? The only thing that's kinda iffy is the battery, but luckily that's entirely removable and upgradable later.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

Do the specs look good?
    haha u sure thats specs are for laptop thats one beast u put in a box

whats the battery giving u with these specs? SP9400 would be better for battery life but not sure how much it costs. thats the low voltage processor and not tobe confused by ULV processors. SP9400 = 2.4 Ghz clock
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
      ... Intel P8600 2.4GHz ...
      Hi DrF,

Only a P8600 just kidding ... Nice Set up and very nice Graphics Card ... so I guess you are getting ready for some serious Gaming!

Hey Doc ... PM me how much you shelled out for this baby! That is if you can't mention it here!

Congrats on your New TOY ... I am jealous ... makes my Gateway with T5750 look antique.

G!

Comment

• Budreaux
        • Jan 2006

Depends on how well it cools.
        I'd have gone AMD myself. Their mobile processors run cooler.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Nah, I can mention it here.

Around $1800. I ordered it from FrostyComputers, in case anyone's interested in custom MSIs... they get all the parts direct from the company and can build them there.

As far as the heat goes, well, it's a gaming laptop, it's obviously gonna get hot... I have no intentions of actually using it on my lap
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
            • Jan 2006

I'd suggest you invest in a good quality cooler pad then.

Comment

• gonwk
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2005

Hi DrF,

I am kind of beat right now ... but I can dig in my notes and recommend something because I researched the heck out of this ...

So, before you spend $40 to $80 for a Cooler ... make sure you know if that Cooler will work for your laptop ...

Right off the back I would say a Zalman 2000 should be more than enough ... but I have to find out where your MSI laptop vents are to see if it will help you.

I persoanlly have a ATI card and just elevate he back of my Gateway M-6862 and it works just fine.

BTW ... your Heating problems will not be from your CPU ... most likely the NVIDIA card.

Also, since this was a Custom Laptop ... I hope for $1800 that company gave you something like "Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound" on your GPU and CPU ... makes it a little better on Heat Dissipation!

Bottom line ENJOY it!

Cheers!

G!

Comment

• atifsh
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2003

just browsing for a review , found this, and it was like very similar to urs but, guess ur is still far better. with similar price. u got blueray and ddr3, asus got ddr2 bur quadcore and 2 harddrives and 1080 display .

Thank you for visiting the TechnologyGuide network. Unfortunately, these forums are no longer active. We extend a heartfelt thank you to the entire community for their steadfast support—it is really you, our readers, that drove

Comment

• rago88
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Aug 2005

Plan to get a new Laptop soon.

could some one tell me the pro/con of getting a 64 bit new laptop as opposed to 32 bit?

won't be used for gaming but will 64 bit be norm anytime soon?/
                  Last edited by rago88; 26 Aug 2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2003

none cons these days, when u opt for 4 gb or more u auto shifts to 64 bit. all ur 32bit programs will work, but only if the application is native 64bit it will get benifit.

depends how soon is soon.... well next office is 64bit, photoshop is 64bit now, so are many 3d programs like maya3d and 3dstudio max are native 64 now.

Comment

Working...