• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

avira problem

one of my office computer has avira free, i used a usb disk on it. that usb was infected by using on somones computer.

avira doesnt find anything. i went home and use the usb and security essential found and clean the disk. next day i again used that usb on same pc nothin came up, i tried it on anoyher office pc with avast free and it found VBS malware-gen. that day i had to use those pcs multiple times annoyed i tried to see why avira cant find it but that system cannot show hidden files obviously it has been blocked frm registry.

in short most of u guys think avira is better then avast... well think again,
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Avira's fine but you are working in a corporate enviroment where your login is crippled to protect the computer, likewise Avira will be crippled

The usb drive has/had an autorun.inf infection

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
    • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
    • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
    • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
    • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
    • Reboot your computer when done.
    Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Download "ClamWin Portable Antivirus", put it on your USB Flash Drive, update its definition files and perform a scan.

Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive into your computer until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing automatically.

ClamWin is a Free Antivirus for Microsoft Windows. It provides a graphical user interface to the Clam AntiVirus engine. It features high detection rates for viruses and spyware, regular antivirus updates from the ClamAV team, and a standalone antivirus scanner. ClamWin allows for manually scanning individual files, folder, or drives but does not include an always-on background

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

Maybe the Avira computer is infected

Have you run MBAM on it?

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

ofcourse that computer is infected... but that happens with avira already installed

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

I handle threads where avast is installed and the computer is infected, nod32, norton's, mcafee, etc

Kasp KIS with hips I never see infected

Resident protection is only a supplement to user vigilance.

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

Originally Posted by Chewy

Resident protection is only a supplement to user vigilance.
            100% on that

Comment

Working...