• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Firefox crashing...

I am using FF 3.0.5. It will crash on me for no apparent reason; One browser window open, two tabs, etc., it doesn't seem to matter. Website doesn't matter either; it could be a forum or youtube, browsing news sites, etc.

It seems to go through this behavior every once in awhile.. Anyone else have a similar problem. I dump all the files regularly, cookies, history, etc. I don't get it - this is supposed to be the "good" browser...
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

As FireFox increased it's user database, it's vulnerabilites are exploited more.

A lot of malware corrupts the install and requires a clean install, completely removing all the old parts is tricky tho.

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

A lot of malware corrupts the install and requires a clean install, completely removing all the old parts is tricky tho.
      Yeah, that is a real pain; I f removed thru Cpanel/ & the you reinstall ff, all your bookmarks, etc. are still present, proving that it has not been removed completely...

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Here's a specific tool just to clean an infected Firefox

Please read and follow all these instructions very carefully.
        1. Please download GooredFix and save it to your Desktop.
        2. Double-click GooredFix.exe to run it.
        3. A log will open, please post the contents of that log in your next reply (it can also be found on your desktop, called Goored.txt).

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

Here is the log.

GooredFix by jpshortstuff (12.07.09)
          Log created at 21:05 on 11/08/2009 (TR)
          Firefox version 3.0.5 (en-US)

========== GooredScan ==========

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\
          {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} [21:57 28/04/2009]
          {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0007-ABCDEFFEDCBA} [02:40 13/05/2009]
          {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBA} [23:54 13/05/2009]
          {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0014-ABCDEFFEDCBA} [16:23 10/06/2009]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla\Firefox\Extens ions]
          "jqs@sun.com"="C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ff" [23:54 13/05/2009]
          "{20a82645-c095-46ed-80e3-08825760534b}"="C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework \v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation\DotNetAssistantExtension\" [21:37 14/06/2009]
          "{3f963a5b-e555-4543-90e2-c3908898db71}"="C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Firefox" [21:10 25/06/2009]

-=E.O.F=-

Comment

• katzdvd
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Feb 2006

Chewy/others -

What is the process for completely uninstalling ff & all the remnants left behind? Browsing is unbearable with this constant crashing; it seems to occur at very random times, no pattern to it.

Don't tell me it's time to switch to I.E...

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

At least on Windows I didn't like the FF 3.0x versions or 3.1x either. I'm using Minefield nightle build(just one day before the FF 3.6 Alpha as it so happens) on Vista64 W7 32 bit and XP Pro and having no problems. You might try the Linux version. Nightly builds can be had here:

edit: if you have AddOn version problems try Mr Tech Toolkit

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

Thanks Miles - I decided at this point to do a clean uninstall/install of the latest ff vers. 3.5.2 & see how it goes...

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

Make sure you kill the crud in

C:\Documents and Settings\Chewy\Application Data\Mozilla

Also the program folder

Reboot after uninstalling

Comment

• katzdvd
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Feb 2006

I followed this;
                    1. Backup your bookmarks as a Bookmarks.html file. In Firefox 2 go to the Bookmarks menu, select 'Organize Bookmarks', then select File>Export. In Firefox 3, go to the Bookmarks menu, select 'Organize Bookmarks', then select 'Import and Backup'>'Export HTML'. Alternatively you can export bookmarks in .JSON format by selecting 'Import and Backup'>Backup. The difference between .HTML and .JSON Bookmark files is explained in more detail at the beginning of the Advanced Tweaking section of the guide.

2. Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP; or Control Panel>Programs & Features in Windows Vista, and if a 'Mozilla Firefox' entry (or similar) exists, select it and click Change/Remove and uninstall it. During uninstallation, tick the 'Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations' box as well - note that this will delete all of your bookmarks and saved settings, so make sure you've backed up your bookmarks as covered in step 1, and also note down any passwords which you might otherwise forget.

3. Go to your \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox directory and delete it and all of its contents if it still exists.

4. Delete the following directories if they still exist:

In Windows XP -

\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla

\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla

In Windows Vista -

\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Mozilla

\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\

5. Find and remove all Firefox/Mozilla-related entries in the Windows Registry. Using the Windows Registry Editor (Start>Run>Regedit), delete any of the following keys if they exist - that is, right click on their name in the left pane of Registry Editor and select Delete:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxURL\]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\fi refox.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FirefoxHTML]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FirefoxURL]

Note: If you also have Mozilla Thunderbird or any other Mozilla products installed, make sure to only delete entries under the keys above which specifically relate directly to Firefox by name.

Comment

• katzdvd
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Feb 2006

Anyone know how to change the font size permanently in the new ff? Tools>Options"Content...I changes all three settings in there & no change to the size...

I closed the browser window & reopened - funny thing - my home page font increases, but no other sites I go to...

Ideas?

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

Check out userChrome.css would be my guess. Mozilla online community or MozillaZine should have guides what you can customize with it.

Comment

• soup
                          Just Trying To Help
                          • Nov 2005

If you want to make sure your bookmarks are kept, try XMarks as an addon. Have used it for a while & just tried it out on my XP32 & W7 fresh installs, it worked.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

If you have your own FTP space, SyncPlaces is excellent. It can sync passwords as well as bookmarks. Also has the option to either merge or totally replace the bookmarks when you upload or download. It doesn't require a bookmark server. Just logs in and uploads or downloads the files and logs out. Great if your ISP gives you free FTP storage. I use the FTP on my web site since it tends to be up more often than my ISP's FTP.

Comment

Working...