• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Hi ya there dr_ml,

I am toying with the idea of may be selling this lappy and get me a new one since the new ones are coming with much newer stuff ... too bad I paid the darn BB $130 or so for the 3 year warranty they suckered into.

Q: Anyone any thoughts on how to straighten up the mismatch of User Name and Profile?

Thanks,

G!

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Idk about that profile/user name thingy, but if you are thinking about getting a new LT, make sure you wait until after the 22nd of oct so you could str8 up get 7 64 and not a upgrade. also make sure the lt has a e-sata port. it's way faster than usb. you'll do fine. they've come down in price. Go online next time. Let the rookies walk into BB and purchase. You're a vet gonwk. Just take your time.

If you could keep that lt. Use it as a play around.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Speaking of W7 64 bit do you know if they fixed that "caches until it crashes" bug with caching very large files until memory is exhausted?

Comment

• gonwk
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
          ... Go online next time. ...
          If you could keep that lt. Use it as a play around.
          Hi dr_ml,

If you knew how Cheap I got it for, you would walk to the Store also ... btw, that is why I didn't mind paying the $130 for warranty.

But, the idea of keeping this one as a Back-Up ... it is pretty darn good idea!

THANKS!

G!

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

Unless you are very careless the the best buy(geek squad) extended warranty is not worth the money. Only one way it is if you have to have a battery replaced. I have only had one laptop that got damage by water. The water damage warranty policy is more expensive then the standard extended warranty. But that was a very long time ago. I got the laptop for like $125 off of fleabay. So it was not a huge financial loss.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
              Speaking of W7 64 bit do you know if they fixed that "caches until it crashes" bug with caching very large files until memory is exhausted?
              Well I did a lot of video work both backing up and converting/copying to my hdd on my docking station and did not have a issue w/it crashing. I would presume it was caching large amounts of data at the time. I think a big issue prolly was the caching that IE 8 used as temporary files and so forth. That was ridiculously high and even interfered w/spybot's immune function. That's documented as a IE M$ fault. Nothing to do w/compatibility.

I do remember my ImgBurn closing down while I burned a couple of times, but then again I was multitasking w/FF open and chatting etc...

Otn I haven't done any tweaks to my 7 64 yet. My new build is so fast that it hasn't been a concern as far as efficiency and speed. I will though slowly learn any important tweaks that would render it a better working OS. I'm also relaxing a bit and using my XP Home until D-Day comes for 7 64 for obvious reasons. That said, I'm really changing my approach to this whole computer business and hopping on early to anything new asaic like you guys did w/7 and so forth. I will not waste my time though w/a OS say like Vista which came out the gate w/all sorts of problems. I will wait and see what's worth looking into 1st before taking a plunge.

Miles I haven't forgot the tweak you posted above concerning IE 8 etc... When I get back to using 7 64 again and making a clone I'll try it and see if it takes w/no issues. I don't mind doing clean installs, but it was getting kind of tiresome lately.

1 tip which I started taking for myself is downloading any freebies like say Avira, Mambam, Revo etc... directly from their sites. I became a lil more cautious about going to the freeware dl'ng sites like even Filehippo. Nothing to say bad about them. Just something I started doing.
              SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• Riggz
                • Oct 2009

I recently had the same issue. However I was running xp pro and primarily using firefox.The cpu was running at 50 upon startup without ie or firefox being open (system idle process). Wasn't in the mood of troubleshooting so did a reinstall instead. Not sure if it was an update as I use automatic or a virus. Computer was virtually unresponsive. I thought at first I fried my cpu, was running overclocked.

I do know that the problem would not allow for panda antivirus access nor access to any admin tools. All tools necessary to detect issue where disabled like I have never seen before. Did go into safemode, however immediately ran a recovery and the results where catastrophic.

My hunch is new virus! ????

My suggestion from experience is to externally back up on a regular and don't fight the system but let it work for you. Reinstalling periodically is a practice that has paid off both in lack of stress and computer speed. Imaging if possible is always the best solution acronis allows for a one time free disc to disc imaging.

Complete Security is a Myth! Anything is possible.

Create a bootable thumb drive using linux (ubuntu) in case of emergency.

Don't trust, PREPARE!

Problem appeared on 10/07/09.

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

changed thread title from IExplorer => Explorer

Comment

Working...