• Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Services.Exe causing Huge CPU & RAM Use

Hi folks,

I think I might have to do Fresh install of my OS on my laptop.
    I have a Gateway M-6862 laptop with Vista Home Prem., SP1, 64-Bit.

Q1: Now, I have the choice of reinstalling it with 64-Bit OR the 32-Bit version.

Here is my porblem ...

I just recently had to Fix my Corrupted User's Profile per Windows Help ... and that fixed my Problem of "High CPU (50%) use due to Opening of the Windows Explore Function" ... you know the Folder deal. That fixed my problem and the laptop was running smoothly.

BTW, prior to above Fix I also decided to Remove "Sun Microsystem Java JRE version 6 Update 14" because I thought that was part of the reason that my Profile got clubbered by some Intrusive websites.

Yesterday, in my wisdom I decided to install the latest "Sun Microsystem Java JRE version 6 Update 16" and my laptop went Crazy ... some websites start opening like crazy and my CPU's went 50 to 80% use and my fan start going like crazy ... my RAM usage jumped from normal 1.4GB to 3.0GB to 3.9GB constantly ... and never dropped back. So, when I tried to see what is causing this usage ... "Windows Task Manager" in Normal View showed nothing ... but when I chose the Option to show "The Processes for ALL Users" ... it hsoed that under System 32, the
    "Services.Exe" was running at 35% and the weird part for was to see that "System Idle Process" function was running at 50%.

BTW, I have ran Antivirus Scans (Avira Full Scan, MBAM, IOBit Security 360) ... so I think my problem is Not Virus problem.

Q2: Can I fix this problem without a Clean Install? Since I don't want to lose my Freebie Trial Softwares.

Q3: Any thoughts what caused this major problem?

Q4: Does a PC have any need to have screwey Sun's JAVA software on it?

Thanks,

G!
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Try uninstalling the last Sun update and installing an older version. Maybe one version before the one with the problem. "System Idle" just means how much of the system is idle. IOW, if System Idle is using 99% that means the programs running on your PC are only using 1% of CPU. When it has nothing else to do the CPU has to do "something" so it calls a function that does nothing and comes back... idle.

On Suns's site or google you should be able to find old versions of JRE. Without it most stuff that does animation, like the weather map on weather.com probably won't work.

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Hi Miles,

Thanks for the reply and the tip. But since lately I was getting all kind of alarms ... I decided to forget about Saving my Freebie Games and I reinstalled from my "D" partition ... that is how Gateway has set up my laptop "D" is true Factory Image and then my "C" is my working drive.

Now I have a Question for all of you folks ... since I bought my laptop approximately Sept. 2008 ... when I did a Clean Install my Windows Updates Notifier is showing me about 300MB of updates all Microsoft ...

As I said before I am on Vista Home Prem., SP1, 64-Bit.

Q1: Should I install these updates ... or just install the Stand-alone SP2 that I have downloaded from Microsoft???

Q2: If your Answer is install the updates from my Windows Notifier ... then should I do it 1 at a time OR 2 or 3 Updates at a time so I can telll when an Update CRASHES my update ... as it has in the Past ... and that was my only way knowing which Microsoft Update to avoid since it was Screwey.

Thanks,

G!

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Everyone has their own philosophy. For PCs that come with the OS installed, I'm a believer in getting it with SPn and leaving it that way unless you need a specific fix.

As example, my newest machine. AMD quad core. Comes with Vista64 SP1. It runs very smooth. I don't have any problems with slow shell file copy or move. Everything is honky dory. I don't install fixes for stuff I don't know is broken.

So my answer would be, you have Vista64 SP1. Unless something is broken, I would leave it there.

Comment

• gonwk
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2005

Hi Miles,

THAT sounds like a GREAT advice!

The only problem that I have ... all the jokes aside ... is how the heck would I know if something is broken!!!

Thanks again mate! (Oops stealing a term from Blu)

G!

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

Gonwk you and your computer are cursed. I down loaded the java update and have had no problems here. Just one more thing Gonwk I will gladly take the loptop
            Last edited by doctorhardware; 13 Oct 2009, 05:04 PM.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

Java update... hmm... that screams "Vundo" to me.

I know, as I've been infected with it. It gets onto your computer by means of a Java updater exploit and is a pain to get rid of. It mainly causes popups and other ads.

The one and only fix is to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, update it, and let it scan your entire computer.
              If it really is Vundo it'll find quite a few infections. Let it remove them, reboot your computer as it tells you to, and it should be gone. (I always do a second scan just to be sure)
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
              My DVD Collection

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by gonwk
                Hi Miles,

THAT sounds like a GREAT advice!

The only problem that I have ... all the jokes aside ... is how the heck would I know if something is broken!!!

Thanks again mate! (Oops stealing a term from Blu)

G!
                If it's so subtle you can't detect it then is it broken? A tree falling in the forest doesn't make a sound. I make the sound if it lands on me!! What can I tell ya'? Who do you want to believe? MS or your own eyes?

Comment

Working...