Any suggestions on a Overclocking Forum/Guide?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Any suggestions on a Overclocking Forum/Guide?

Hi, I'm set to finally push my 2 builds a bit given they have the specs to do it. Any of you have a familiar/suggested Forum/Guide on how to Overclock? Yes, I Googled, and was reading something earlier, but it was more of the details regarding the parts then the How To's. Also it was kinda outdated.

Anything regarding this is appreciated. Thnx.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

what system do you have?
    maybe some of us may be able to help.

i'm not into oc'ing at all but i have pushed my AMD Phenom II 945 from 4 x 3ghz to 4 x 3.45ghz as it makes some difference for video conversion.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Hi UnCaS. I agree also. I just want to push it a little as I can w/my system.

Here's my specs: ASUS M4A78T-E Mobo

AMD Phenom II X3 720 CPU 2.8 GHz 7.5 MB Total Cache Socket AM3 Black Edition

BIOS version AMI 2001 08/25/2009

Chipset is the AMD 790GX/SB750

Chipset: AMD RS780 HOST BRIDGE 2x 2GHz (4GHz)
      2x 125 MHz (250 MHz)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT PCI-E x16 by BFG

Memory: OCZ Fatal1ty Gaming Memory Hi-Performance DDR3 2 Sticks Total 4GB

OCZ 3F13332G 2GB DIMM DDR3

PC3-8500u DDR3-1066 (7-7-7-16 4-26-8-4)

Right now the CPU Speed as per Sandra Lite is 3.5 GHz

I put the MEM Speed at 1.64 per OCZ's suggestion. It was at auto just b4, and BSOD happened so now stable for most part. I did some Googling, and found a Beginner's Guide at PC Stats.

Mobo temp is at 49.00 C. right now.

CPU temp is at 43.00 C. right now also.

I opened side panel just in case.

Let me know if there's anything I should look for to adjust etc... so as to better it or be cautious about. Thnx. I'll be running a test Demo w/x2_rolling demo see how it does. I guess a test w/Sandra's Burn Performance or w/e etc... should be done also?

Ok the Cas Latency Settings per OCZ are now 9-9-9-20 which I read the lower the better. FSB is at 250. Give me some insight if you can regarding lowering the Cas, and getting faster, and stable speed.
      Last edited by dr_ml422; 24 Dec 2009, 07:36 AM.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

what is the default FSB?

i'd say lower fsb and increase multiplier, maybe increase voltage for cpu AND ram slightly (and little by little)

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Originally Posted by UncasMS
          what is the default FSB?

i'd say lower fsb and increase multiplier, maybe increase voltage for cpu AND ram slightly (and little by little)
          default FSb is 200. I set it to 200 and increased the cpu vol. just 1 notch from auto to 0.8000, and the Dram vol. to 1.78 from 1.76 and no dice.

So I just went back to the auto setting on the CPU vol. and 1.76 on the dram vol. and I'm on again. It doesn't have a separate multiplier like my 1st build. Sandra says min. 4x, and max. 14x. It was at 14x.

Up the FSB to 250 again? It worked on that w/the stock 7-7-7-16-5-33-10-5 cas latency. I don't know if raising the cpu vol. more, and mem more at fsb 200 would work correct?

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

the fsb influences your memory as well and if the ram was set to highest speed before it will sooner or later reach a critical point

maybe try fsb 250 with ram settings below 1066 but slightly oncreased voltage for cpu and ram

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Originally Posted by UncasMS
              the fsb influences your memory as well and if the ram was set to highest speed before it will sooner or later reach a critical point

maybe try fsb 250 with ram settings below 1066 but slightly oncreased voltage for cpu and ram

Ok, I tried ram at 1000 which is set at that for lowest, and raised cpu to just 0.8000 and mem to 1.68 and no dice. I went back, and set cpu mem to auto, mem speed back to 1333MHz, and increased mem volt to 1.78, and i'm on. Sandra says cpu speed 3.5 GHz, and mobo temp at 47 c, and CPU temp at 41 c. So maybe try raising fsb a lil again, and if no dice raise mem vol. to higher FSb and see what happens?

ok fsb at 255, mem speed went to 1360, and mem vol. still at 1.78. i'll try 260 n see what happens on the fsb. ocz guy said best volts for dram were between 1.7 and 1.8. lets see.

Ok UnCaS, the best stable settings were at FSb 250, Mem Speed 1333, and Mem voltage at 1.78 I believe. Ran the Burn in test from Sandra Lite, and everything came out ok w/the higher settings, but towards the end CPU temp was a tad above 70 C, so just to play on the side of caution I went to the posted settings. Thnx for your help as always.
              Last edited by dr_ml422; 24 Dec 2009, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Abuilder
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Oct 2006

Hi Dr I was an overclocker for years, but these days it's just not worth the price of the hardware you can fry to gain almost no noticeable increase in performance. If you really want to play around with overclocking , do it on an old box that is landfill anyway.
                They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

How you been Abuilder? Long time. I just tweaked it a lil being that my processor, and mobo can do it. If I see anything starting to get outta hand, I'll just restore to default in Bios, and the mem settings given to me by OCZ. In a few days I'll know, maybe sooner. Happy holidays, and glad to hear from you.

Comment

Working...