X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Anyone doing USB 3.0 yet?

Anyone doing anything USB 3.0 yet? Addin card? Docking station? etc..

Just curious if anyone would share their experiences so far.
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

The usb 3 docking stations are $54.99 and up. Still a little pricy. Asus has a pcie x1 add in card for around $30.00.
    Last edited by doctorhardware; 16 Feb 2010, 01:40 PM.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

I was tempted to buy SIIG on egg. It's on sale for $30 with free shipping. According to my docs I have a PCI expressX1 slot open. I just hate to open boxes. The BlacX docks are supposed to be out soon. I don't know why they are missing the boat.

Still it would be cool to have a USB 3.0 dock on the PC even if my WD player is only USB 2.0. I could at least copy the video files on a lot faster.

I haven't noticed any talk of USB sticks for 3.0 yet.

On egg SIIG is one of the only USB 3.0 add in cards I saw with any user review where the user is actually using it. Most stuff is too new for people to post about yet.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

I have bought SIIG cards in the past and never had a problem.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
          I have bought SIIG cards in the past and never had a problem.
          Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll take the plunge. Putting in a card should be pretty easy.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

It is a piece o cake. As long as you have a open 1x pcie slot your set to go.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Sounds cool. The main thing holding me back is the 3.0 docking stations. They are all brands I never heard of. Supposedly Thermaltake will be release both a single and dual drive USB 3.0 in the next few weeks. iirc the dual-drive was supposed to price in at around what these guys are charging for a single. Something like $70.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2006

The esata Thermaltake docking station I have is one of the better ones. I will wait for Thermaltake to release one then I will buy that one. Here is one from SIIG. IIG USB 3.0 SuperSpeed SATA 3G Hard Drive Docking Station w/ Cooling Fan: SC-SA0D12-S1
                USECSISA0D12S1 $45.99 I would buy that one from them also.
                Last edited by doctorhardware; 17 Feb 2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

Looks like the Sharkoon one has 2 slots like a toaster. At first I thought it had some brain-dead design because it shows one drive of each size, like you could only put a 2 1/2 in one slot and only a 3 1/2 in the other. But I found a write-up online. Each slot can take either size and it uses a separate USB 3.0 cable for each.

Here's the write-up I found:

Easy, affordable options for you to obtain the domain you want. Safe and secure shopping.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2006

Just looking at the picture one might make that assumption. I would not think that they would be that brain dead, but it is always possible. It looks like a nice docking station.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

I suppose there's no big hurry. I should let the user reviews shake out for a bit. I was looking at the new HPs they have at Best Buy and I don't understand how they combine the options. No USB 3.0 yet of course, but they had a nice looking Pavilion w/8 GB DDR3 ram, BDROM drive, AMD Phenom II, 1/2 GB video card, but for some weird reason they put in a slow wired network. Only 100 Mb/sec in an otherwise fast machine. Price tag was around $800 or less. A network card is cheap but these HPs only come with 1 PCIexpressX1 slot open. Shame to pull something else out just to get Gigabit wired network.

Comment

Working...