Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snagel
    • Apr 2006

Anyone tried the new Avira version 10 I got problems

I just got the upgrade to the version 10 of Avira Premium Security Suite.

Everytime I go into the app to scan the scan stops and I get a popup that says that there is a possible virus or unwanted program 1 or more.

It then says to create a rescue disk and scan to see what the problems are.

I created the rescue disk and ran it. The only problem is that I can't read German and I need English language. Also it doesn't show enough of the page to show the flags at the bottom to select english.

I have rebooted and rebooted numerous times and selected one choice after another. I have tried all the options for the screen resolution.

Still not one of the choices allowed me to see the bottom of the page or the buttons to start the scan.

Is anyone else seeing this.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    snagel
  • snagel
    • Apr 2006

More information

I just thought that I'd add a little more information to the above.

Because I couldn't get the Rescue CD thing to work I did boot the computer in the safe mode and ran scans with the Avira Premium security suite. It came back no detections or viruses.

I ran Malwarebytes from the SAFE MODE also and it came back with no problems at all.

I then did another scan from the NORMAL startup with AVIRA and again it came back with the hidden objects pop up that I stated in the above post.

thanks snagel

your help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

I would copy the German and use a program like babble fish to translate the German. Have you tried the Microsoft security essentials. I have been using that and it has been a decent program. It has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. It is worth a shot.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• snagel
        • Apr 2006

re: doctorhardware

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
        I would copy the German and use a program like babble fish to translate the German. Have you tried the Microsoft security essentials. I have been using that and it has been a decent program. It has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. It is worth a shot.

The only problem that I have is that I have tried all the screen resolutions at least three times each over a 3 day period of time. I can't get the screen down to the size so that I can see the START button to start the scan. If I could get down that far I would be able to change it to English by selecting the English flag.

I went to the AVIRA website and found that a whole bunch of people are having the same exact problems with AVIRA 10 and also problems with reducing the app on the Rescue CD.

I tried uninstalling AVIRA the other night and was going to put something else on. After uninstalling AVIRA I went to the Windows firewall to see if it was on or not. It said one of your firewalls is currently on.

One is currently on??????? So I pressed on the down arrow and it said.
        AVIRA firewall is currently on!!!!

Now how can the AVIRA firewall still be ON? I have just uninstalled the product and the firewall is still on. How can that be.

I then tried to do a system recovery to a earlier date about a month or month and a half ago. I wouldn't let me recover to an earlier date.

I don't know if this is because of uninstalling the AVIRA program that I couldn't restore to an earlier time because AVIRA is now uninstalled or what.

So I thought that maybe if I reinstalled AVIRA Premium Security Suite again on a clean install that maybe this time it would let me uninstall it.

So far I haven't tried to uninstall it after the clean install. But it is still stopping part way through the scan and stating the same exact thing. I can press cancel and the scan will continue, but that is no good at all for automatic scanning function.
        But for the time being it sure has made me lose a strong sense of security using the program. I liked the AVIRA program before, but now I have BIG RESERVATIONS about the program altogether.

So it might be that I'll try Security Essentials or something else.

So temporarily I have the Premium version paid for with AVIRA that is essentially no better than the free version because I have to start and stop the scanning function. However I think maybe its worse than the free version because I have a paid for version that has a 2 step scan.
        Start it,
        tend it,
        and when it stops I have to press cancel to keep the scan going.
        Last edited by snagel; 30 Mar 2010, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...